spray alerts, norfolk

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonybloke

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
3 Commercial hives with National supers, Top Bee Space. + 2 Nucs
for those who don't belong to the NBKA ( and therefore don't recieve warning emails from the local 'spray liason' folk, here's todays spray warnings for Norfolk.

Beekeepers with apiaries in the area of:-

RAVENINGHAM / GILLINGHAM
might like to know there will be spraying of oilseed rape in the next day or two depending on weather. Chemicals used will be a fungicide and an insecticide.
Chris
(Spray Liaison Officer)

Beekeepers in the following areas:-
Scottow, Coltishall, Banningham, Felbrigg, Antingham, and Thorpe Market

might like to take appropriate action from the spraying of rape with a fungicide and insecticide on Saturday 28th April or Monday 30th April ,weather permitting.

Beekeepers in the particular area might like to take appropriate action:-

Enclosed is notification to spray oilseed rape with Filan/Prosaro fungicide for sclerotinia protection to a late flowering field on Friday 27th April or week commencing 30th April to a field at :

Kerdiston House Farm
Kerdiston
Norwich
NR10 4RP

If treatment is not completed on Friday then I will make contact to update you with situation as weather conditions are very unpredictable at present. It will be likely with the continued wet weather that the crop will require another treatment to follow these.

regards, Tony

well, no responses to the thread, so perhaps it wasn't worth posting,

won't bother to post any more spray notifications in the future

well, no responses to the thread, so perhaps it wasn't worth posting,

won't bother to post any more spray notifications in the future

Hi TB
Please carry on posting. If you'd posted in the Diss area, I would have said "thank you for telling me."
Cazza

Ok but what is "take appropriate action" please. My farmer said will be spraying when weather permits but this won't affect bees!

If it's a fungicide or herbicide, likely negligible effect - but Brossville will doubtless be along shortly to tell me I'm colluding with Bayer and the Nazis :rolleyes:

Insecticide could be a problem, depends on how/when it is applied, i.e. if the bees are likely to come into contact with it. Ask what the brand name is of what is to be sprayed, and whether it says harmful or harmless to bees on the data sheet / label on the sack. Google will help here.

Best to get farmer/contractor to spray insecticide in the evening when there is no foraging activity. If this cannot be arranged (e.g they just have to wait for a dry window given current weather), then shut the bees for 24 hours whilst daytime spraying takes place. Hives need ventilation (OMFs should be sufficient, may need screened cover boards req'd if you're on solid floors) and if the weather does warm up significantly then I'd add extra space for air circulation (empty super); heatwave would require water source within the hive (bowl of water in the empty super) but that's not likely!

Farmers are obliged to give 48 hours notice but don't be arsey about this. Work with them rather than quoting chapter and verse, particularly if you want to be invited back next year :)

updated details

Beekeepers with apiaries in the regions below might like to know of the following:-
Spraying on Wednesday onwards looking good. We shall be aiming for a very early start and will be finished by 11.00 each day and be continuing Thursday and Friday.Chemicals will be an insecticide Mavrik(Tau-fluvinate) and ,as earlier, two fungicides Amistar( azoxistrobin) and Filan (boscalid)
Swanton Morley Farms NR20 4PY
TG0016 2829
TG0016 1138
TG0016 9142
TF9915 5384
TG0116 1064
TG0016 8183
TG0016 6794
TG0117 6270
TG0016 6230
Park Farm Swanton Morley NR20 4JU
TF9908 4142
TF9908 4060
TF9908 4030
TG0116 9463
TG0216 7554
Park Farm Winburgh NR19 1QW
TF9908 4142
TF9908 5720
TF9908 5901
TG0007 5776
TG0007 2708
TG0007 7124
Park Farm Shipdham IP25 7NH
TF9710 7036
TF9709 4295
TF9710 8118
TF9809 7703
TF 9808 8863
TF9710 4213
Chris Skeggs
(SLO)

Beekeepers might like to take appropriate action of spraying with the following details:-

1) Thurgarton Nr117HT + Matlaske NR117AQ
2) 02/05/2012 – 05/05/2012
3) Winter Oil Seed Rape
4) Hallmark with Zeon Technology ( Lambda-Cyhalothrin ) + Amistar ( Azoxystrobin ) + Filan ( Boscalid )

I have asked that the spraying be done early am or late pm

Chris Skeggs
(SLO)

Beekeepers with apiaries within 3/4 miles of TF962100 may like to take appropriate action from spraying of oilseed rape on the morning of 2nd May with the following chemicals:
Boscalid Metaconazole Tua-fluvainate

Chris Skeggs
(S.L.O)

well done tony not in my area but good to pass on the info

updated details
Chemicals will be an insecticide Mavrik(Tau-fluvinate)

Thanks for the update. For those who are not aware, tau-fluvalinate is the active ingredient in Apistan; it is a nerve toxin specific to mites.

update:
Beekeepers with apiaries in the appropriate areas might like to know the following and take necessary actions:-
We are proposing to spray wheat and barley with herbicide and fungicide at Rocklands St Peter, and beans with insecticide at Bow St, Gt Ellingham.
Date: Sunday 6th May and/or Monday 7th May depending on rain/wind conditions. If it rains, there will be no spraying that day. If possible, insecticide will be sprayed in the evening, but this may not be possible this time.

Latest posts

Back