Spliting Colony in late August

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nopants

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
Hi

I have a large colony of light coloured Carnolian type bees that are very prolific. My question is this, is it too late in the year to make a split and introduce a new queen in to the new nuc. Their is little stores in the way of honey but plenty of polen. I would obviously need to feed them up. The other thing is treating them for varoa as I havent seen any as of yet without putting them off feeding up for winter. Your comments please.

If you have a mated laying queen then I don't see why you can't split them. Just make sure the nuc gets 2 or 3 of frames of brood if at all possible and feed them straight away. You can treat for varroa at the same time. If you leave the nuc in the apiary most of the flying bees will go back to the original hive but if there is at least one frame of sealed brood, ideally 2, they should be fine and you have the insurance factor of the extra queen to get through the winter.

Latest posts

Back