Spiralling out of control!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
2 - and steward of 8 others.
Hi guys.

Got a problem. Need your ideas.
And no sniggering on the back row, jenkinsbrynmair!

The hive is in the roof of Manchester Cathedral.
Three, possibly four supers to be removed for extraction.
But the only way down is a narrow, spiral stone staircase - 43 steps down.
With only a thick rope to hold onto.
And largely in the dark as the electricity is turned off.

How can it be done, relatively safely and efficiently?
Without dropping honey all over the stairs.
And with a minimal casualty rate!

Lowering them by rope from the roof, is not a serious option.
I've got so far as to put each frame in a plastic bag to prevent dripping.

All serious entries may qualify for "get into heaven free" loyalty bonus points.

Dusty

[A photo of the top of the stairs can be found in my album. Don't know how to link it to this post.]

How about a relay - maybe a person every 5-6 steps?? Would take a lot of people but most religious buildings have many keen volunteers don't they?? Especially if you have an afternoon tea with scones and honey to say thank-you?:D

How can it be done, relatively safely and efficiently?
Without dropping honey all over the stairs.
And with a minimal casualty rate!. Lowering them by rope from the roof, is not a serious option. I've got so far as to put each frame in a plastic bag to prevent dripping.
I find vacuum bags from the poundshop ideal. A complete super fits in the larger ones. If you have power for a vacuum cleaner the shrunk bags stack easily and flat excess folds under. They ziplock airtight, check your escapes work before you start. If you keep the drips off the outside, they don't leak vapour to attract foragers or robbers. That might give you the option of stacking removed supers in the shade and going back without a full beesuit to collect later - I don't know your geography or bees but that must be easier on the stairs.

If you cannot manage a full super the only real option is to split the full frames between boxes as you remove them.

frame carrier.

could you make a carrier (idea it would look like an old fashioned suitcase).

I made a carrier with straps and plywood boards to supers could be moved on their side. I love the vacuum bag tip by the way.

Take the mountain to ......?
i.e. take a spinner upstairs spin the comb near the hives then put the frames back.
Empty the honey onsite into containers that can be carried safely and leave the spinner there for a while for the bees to clean out.

Just a thought bee-smillie

Or bag the frames and pop them in a nuc with a hanging / shoulder strap, then carry it down.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Bet the bees wish they could have got it up as easily as you can get it down.

Take the mountain to ......
i.e. take a spinner upstairs spin the comb near the hives then put the frames back.
Empty the honey onsite into containers that can be carried safely and leave the spinner there for a while for the bees to clean out.

Just a thought bee-smillie

Or bag the frames and pop them in a nuc with a hanging / shoulder strap, then carry it down.

Good luck.

What did beekeepers do before spinners? A slow drain into a solar warmer up on the roof then closed bucket(s) for transport down the stairs for filtering and bottling might be an option.

Well, you got the bees etc up there in the first place.....?

Why not get 20 visitors to form a human chain every 3 steps and reward them with a honey feast ?

Best done on a Sunday perhaps ? 1 frame at a time

S

Half a super's worth of bagged frames in one of those stripy/checked laundry bags you can get in the markets?

Oh and

Take the mountain to ......

Absolutely not.
You will attract bees from everywhere then when the spinners clean they might move on to the hives.

Last edited:
Half a super full of honey isn't that heavy so just make a half size super and carry it down like that, easy enough to carry with handles fitted, I'd do it.

Do you good, seriously.

Chris

Half a super full of honey isn't that heavy so just make a half size super and carry it down like that, easy enough to carry with handles fitted, I'd do it.

Do you good, seriously.

Chris

I suspect the footholds on the old stone staircase may not be all that brilliant. A knapsack or a shoulder strap bag would at least give you both hands free.

Charity absail to raise money for church
Each person carries half a super in a rucksac
Novel idea, would make for good advertising of the event
Then becomes an annual event ..........

I suspect the footholds on the old stone staircase may not be all that brilliant. A knapsack or a shoulder strap bag would at least give you both hands free.

:yeahthat: it a half super in a bag with two sholder straps or straps fixed to super, comfort being the big thing, both hands free, allowing you to keep your ballance,

What ever you decide good luck and I thought I was having problems lifting one heavy super! let us know how the deed was done.

the only way down is a narrow, spiral stone staircase - 43 steps down.

There you are see - vanity and fancy geegaws the downfall of the church again - a good non conformist chapel will have decent practical staircases. None of your retro spiral staircases,misericords (just a ruse for the clergy to have a sly sit down when the rest of the congregation have to stand!), gargoyles and the like!

All serious entries may qualify for "get into heaven free" loyalty bonus points.

most religious buildings have many keen volunteers don't they?

Hmff Martin Luther will be looking down saying 'I told you so!' selling indulgences! whatever next? telling the great unwashed that your supers are made from fragments of the true cross! and it's an honour and a fast track through purgatory to carry one? you'll be selling red hats next to pay for the 'underfloor heating' (probably a sauna and jacuzzi for the canonical hierarchy!)

a half super with shoulder strap?
Or a half wit with a death wish?

Why don't you go to the local council or plant hire people - or the builders working on the cathedral (with press in tow) and ask if they can help - cherry picker outside to bring them down in a thrice? good publicity for the firms involved and good press for your local rag. They could make a bit of a do about it - you coming down with supers in the crane in your best party frock!

Latest posts

Back