sperm collection

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Apprentices

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
warre
Number of Hives
3 Modified Warre
I was wonering how the bee spermazoa was collected, no silly answers like give the drone a picture of Pamela :sifone:

Wow, quite expensive stuff as I expected, does anyone know of anyone who trains people or is giving up etc.

Wow, quite expensive stuff as I expected, does anyone know of anyone who trains people or is giving up etc.
I recently went to a insemination course in Germany which has been a real eye opener.
First, I already had an introduction in the UK (with an II course that Michael Collier gives), but the sperm collection neccesary for one queen took approx. 1 to 2hrs, and quite frankly, was an extremily frustating experience.
The experience in Germany was completely different and I learned how to "pop" the drone without the sperm becoming contaminated, but more importantly how to extract sufficient sperm in about 10 minutes( approx 10 drones)- the best was 4 minutes , but that wasn't me!
Another eyeopener was the bahaviour of the bees. The Buckfast strain in Germany prides itself on being extremely gentle, which was borne out by collecting the drones in a tee shirt and shorts (which seems to be common in Germany!) It was only in second day I was told they made the colony queenless one week earlier to get the drones in the mood! This colony already had procuced 110 lb of honey this year before been given several frames of drone foundation. (48 days previously).
I have added a picture of the guys in Germany with the nucs they brought with them (the guy in the middle is Peter Schley, who has developed the II equipment) II is common in Germany, but many beekeepers also send their virgin queens in apideas or similar to the North Sea islands to be mated with gentle drones. Something we could do also in the UK, but would need organising. Do we have a Buckfast bee interest organisation/club?

Another eyeopener was the bahaviour of the bees. The Buckfast strain in Germany prides itself on being extremely gentle, which was borne out by collecting the drones in a tee shirt and shorts

Surely this is normal?

Something we could do also in the UK, but would need organising. Do we have a Buckfast bee interest organisation/club?

I think that's the hard bit - organising. There's a few people on this forum, both commercial and hobbyist who keep and or breed buckfast type bees.

Crg,
My ,so called Buckfast bees, run on comb, sting gloves, ping on my hood and follow for 100 yds--not a good advertisement for the strain. these were new this year from a well known BUCKAST bee breeder in souther UK .
I have not yet experienced bees like those in Germany but if you have those magical bees like the ones in the picture, I would very much like to collect some sperm and give you a II queen in return. I was given an island mated queen (2010 Buckfast-Ameland)who is busily laying eggs and I could get ready virgin queens together by end August/1st week september for II. How big is your colony,would you have sufficient drones (say 50 for 4 queens) A standard size colony (Dadant or 14x12) would give the drones needed unless the weather turns bad
As regards a Buckfast UK organisation I would be willing to put my effort into it if there is sufficient interest

If the bees behave like that then you do not have a good Buckfast line. You should be able to work in shorts and a t-shirt. You can me dismantle a Buckfast hive at this link. Sorry the narration is in Greek.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSK2MeaoFLA&feature=mh_lolz&list=HL1311353729[/ame]
Enjoy.

"I was wondering how the bee spermazoa was collected, no silly answers "

unfortunately i don't think you could churn out the necessary equipment despite your woodworking and CNC skills!!!!

"I was wondering how the bee spermazoa was collected, no silly answers "

unfortunately i don't think you could churn out the necessary equipment despite your woodworking and CNC skills!!!!

Your probably right there bee-smillie so I will stick to making these instead, three more top feeders amd three more intro cages, from reclaimed and scrap bin timber, Douglas Fir, what a pain to use that timber is.

Last edited:
I have just bought 4xBuckfast queens. Managed to introduce three without problem but lost the 4th. I hope they turn out to be so quiet.

Crg,
My ,so called Buckfast bees, run on comb, sting gloves, ping on my hood and follow for 100 yds--not a good advertisement for the strain. these were new this year from a well known BUCKAST bee breeder in souther UK .

Yes I've come across a couple of people selling "buckfast" bees in the UK that aren't.

They should be more like this
picture.php

Last edited:
Yes I agree- I had a lady visitor to my apiary this morning - a beautician that wanted to see first-hand how royal jelly is produced. She was amazed that she could walk around the apiary without the bees bothering her and even more amazed when I showed her that she could stroke the bees on the comb like you would stroke your pet cat or dog.

I have some just like that Crg,they are from Kelds strain,very gentle bees.

Buckfast Club

Hello,
If anyone is interested in forming a British Buckfast Club then please send me a PM.
Thanks!

insemination equipment

Your probably right there bee-smillie so I will stick to making these instead, three more top feeders amd three more intro cages, from reclaimed and scrap bin timber, Douglas Fir, what a pain to use that timber is.

Further to my plee for equipment and or advice, I have managed to secure the long term loan of a Nikon stereo zoom microscope through one of my students, who works for a local univercity laboratory.

The equipment parts I have now drawn up into Solidworks DWF's and can get the major parts made to my design quite reasonably, the rest of the fine tooling can be purchased no problems or modified from existing medical equipment.

A local dentist actually came up with a few great ideas for some of the equipment parts from his inventory that will also do the job nicely.

When I get everything working as it should I will post up the ways to save many hours and monies so others can get other budding ists balls a rolling.

It seems there are many ways to skin this cat.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back