Spare smoker?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
Have you got a reasonably good condition spare smoker I can buy for sending to Kenya for a guy with a lot of africanised bees and no protection?

Regards

PH

Have you got a reasonably good condition spare smoker I can buy for sending to Kenya for a guy with a lot of africanised bees and no protection?

Regards

PH

Hi I have a spare which came with a Thornes beginners kit which you are welcome to have. Please PM with address and I will post.
Cheers
Stiffy

Says you cannot receive private messages? Check with Admin possibly?

Can you pm me with an email addy possibly?

Many thanks for your kind offer.

PH

Stiffy you had private messages turned off.
I have changed your setting's,hope thats ok.

PM me if not.

Says you cannot receive private messages? Check with Admin possibly?

Can you pm me with an email addy possibly?

Many thanks for your kind offer.

PH

PM sent have also checked my details and should be able to receive PM's...never mind.

Given the level of artisanship that exists in Kenya and other parts of Africa, would it be practical to produce some drawings in order that smokers could be made locally?

Looking at the small version that Hedgerow Pete uses, you never know it could turn into a small cottage industry. :)

Has anyone out there made their own smokers and have any advice about the best way of going about it?

Smokers in-the-flat even !

Have mailed my Ugandan farming friend who has bees. Hope he has electricity and so can read the mail!

Regards

PH

Will my nephew do? He's up to about 60 a day!

Hi

I have seen very simple smokers in operation, they are simply tin cans with a few nail holes around the bottom and a wire loop handle. Then it's just a case of dropping in a hot coal and then adding small pieces of dry cow dung.

A little gentle swinging and a bit of puff works wonders.

Regards Ian

I had thought about a couple of steel coke cans and a simple made bellows. Not long lived perhaps, but cheap and cheerful. Something that could be made locally for probably less than the cost of postage.

That's not to belittle your endeabours PH. All very laudible, just an alternative thought that might eventually provide a lot more Kenyan bee keepers with smokers.

My daughter-in-law is Kenyan :) but lives in Spain.

I have made english type smokers from tin cans, it can be done there might be a video in there , dont know how much use I would be But it can be done

the big issue is what i find as waste and scrap that is freely avalible for me to use could be a lot harder or imposible to find in say africa

I saw a program a while ago where an ancient bee smoker was unearthed in an excavation. I think this was from the African continent somewhere but I may bee mistaken.

It was of earthenware construction about 8 inches in diameter and 15 inches long with pepper pot holes one end and an almost open end the other with a handle in the middle. Smouldering 'stuff' was placed inside and the smoke came out of the pepper pot holes. This was then waved in front of the area that needed smoke.

A replica was made, tested and found to work.

Maybe this could be a local sustainable option.

Latest posts

Back