spare queen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ferretgirl

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I swear to god, these bees will be the death of me! I've not slept well all week from worrying about them!

The 'missing' queen has being playing on my mind so much! Since i'm a newbie and my last colony died, i just want to do well by this nuc! I've already told u all about the evidence of it swarming and evidence of a new queen emerging!
It's been nearly 4 weeks since i got the nuc! I was so paniced that i'd accidently killed her without knowing, since there was absolutely no evidence of her being there! I know a virgin queen can take a while to be mated and start laying, but i'm new and i paniced.............here comes the rookie mistake! I went and bought a new queen today! When i got back to the hive, with queen in cage, and opened it up, looked at the frames a found loads of eggs!
None sealed yet, but nicely arranged! Grubs in top third of frame, smaller grubs in middle section and tiny little eggs in bottom section!

I was just too eager!

So, what do i do with this extra queen that i have? Don't suppose i can put her with a few bees and start a mini bee hive? Just a thought!

Does anyone round stockport area need a queen......cheap!

I swear to god, these bees will be the death of me! I've not slept well all week from worrying about them!

The 'missing' queen has being playing on my mind so much! Since i'm a newbie and my last colony died, i just want to do well by this nuc! I've already told u all about the evidence of it swarming and evidence of a new queen emerging!
It's been nearly 4 weeks since i got the nuc! I was so paniced that i'd accidently killed her without knowing, since there was absolutely no evidence of her being there! I know a virgin queen can take a while to be mated and start laying, but i'm new and i paniced.............here comes the rookie mistake! I went and bought a new queen today! When i got back to the hive, with queen in cage, and opened it up, looked at the frames a found loads of eggs!
None sealed yet, but nicely arranged! Grubs in top third of frame, smaller grubs in middle section and tiny little eggs in bottom section!

I was just too eager!

So, what do i do with this extra queen that i have? Don't suppose i can put her with a few bees and start a mini bee hive? Just a thought!

Does anyone round stockport area need a queen......cheap!

How many bees in the nuc, could you lose a few for the queen you bought?

Newbee too - but I don't see why you can't start a mini-nuc to overwinter. Just add her to a few frames of egg/larva and young bees...I think...However, if your nuc. is too small, maybe a local beek would let you have a frame or two- perhaps someone you met on your bee course?

Last edited:
I don't think i can spare anything from the hive as it's only got 2 or 3 frames of grubs and eggs itself!
I'll ask the local beekeepers like u say and see what they say!

Thanks for ur replies guys!

Back