Spare Drawn Brood Frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJBee

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
16 a mix of Commercial, National, 14 x 12, Dadant and a Warre
Having changed over to Commercial hives I am short of drawn brood frames. When/if Spring ever arrives I plan to give 2 of my 4 colonies a complete brood box of foundation to draw.
April 2008 was awful and the bees took 2 months to begin work on new frames. I think the reason for that was it was too cold to leave the brood and I had given them double the space to heat.
To solve the extra space/heat loss problem I plan to cover the brood box with newspaper then QX then the box of foundation. The idea being that the newspaper keeps the warmth in the brood area and when the bees are ready to expand they will chew through the newspaper.
By the way I do not claim this idea as mine it was gleaned from t'other side:cheers2:
Mike

Hi Mike

This is a old trick that I think started by those on the Heather moors many years ago.

Regards Ian

From the books I have read it seems that Heather hives are very different from hives kept on pasture regards times and management.

It better to give the new box under the brood box. The colony expands brooding downstairs when it is capable to do that.

In spring I give allways new room under the brood box. That news paper does not help much.

I noticed that when bees occupie the upper box, a lot of brood will die in lower box. First bees destroy part of larvae.
You may yourself to look what happens.

Last edited:
There is nothing special about heather hives. Just lots of guff talked about them.

If you want more frames then lets do it gently hmm? Add a frame of foundation, take a frame out which is pollen or stores. One at a time is the way to go until they are up to a reasonable strength.

And if you want them to do a whole box there is a major ommission.

FEED them for goodness sake. You get nothing for nothing.

PH

If you ant new foundations to draw, bees do it during heavy nectar flow.
Don't give foundations in spring - if you have what ever combs.

One reason is maybe that wax working bees are 3-4 weeks old.

After wintering bees are too old and it takes time before the hive has new bees which are able make wax.

The hive must have hight temp to that they work with wax.

I use to keep foundation on the sides of box over winter for ventilation. I can find that bees have no intention to draw combs before it is summer and almost swarming time.

Latest posts

Back