Spacers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SixFooter

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
What spacers are recommended in a super? I'm using the castelated runners, but they are really awkward and I think spacers would suit me better.
This is new to me as I didnt get any supers on last year!

Work out the drawn combs and change over to Manleys, far far better in supers and saves the spacer issue full stop.

Hoffman in the brood box and Manleys over the excluder is the way to go and sorts the problem totally.

Why we still have this discussion even beggers my belief.

PH

We use hoffmans in our brood boxes and manleys in the supers. But has anybody found a way of closing the hoffman frames up after an inspection without crushing the odd bee?

What spacers are recommended in a super? I'm using the castelated runners, but they are really awkward and I think spacers would suit me better.
This is new to me as I didnt get any supers on last year!

Narrow plastic ends will give you 11 SN1 frames in the supers.

I only buy the wide spacers. They can be omitted, or staggered, or end to end, as required (from getting the bees started on drawing to really heavy frames [when full]) Sometimes a bear to balance the extractor but I need fewer frames and so a few less to melt out, or clean up, or store in the winter. S'pose it is less foundation to buy and fit, too.

Remember that not all extractors might take Manleys without mods.

Regards, RAB

I use narrow spacers on foundation then, when they have been drawn out I use 10 frame castellated spacers.

I use narrow spacers on foundation then, when they have been drawn out I use 10 frame castellated spacers.

As Rab says , wide spacers are also narrow spacers when staggered :).
This gives you the option of starting with 11 frames and reducing to 10 and finally 9 without fuss , now that's got to be good .
Manleys have their down sides such as crushing bees (although I rarely manipulate super frames ) I can see what I need to from the top!.
Uncapping can also be a pain when the bees cap them below the side bars , then instead of being a guide for the knife ,they become an obstruction .
Ah! Well ! each to his own . Better the devil and all that .

John Wilkinson

Latest posts

Back