• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Source of good nuclei in Dorset?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vergilius

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
6ish
Hi all, I'm planning on starting an apiary at the school I work at in central Dorset. I wonder whether anyone has any recommendations for reputable sources of nuclei in the area? When I lived in Sussex, I used a certain well-known bee farm there, usually with good results. I could conceivably use the same supplier, either collecting myself or seeing whether they will deliver, but wondering whether there are any local gems. Obviously, given the nature of the project, mild temperament will be by far the most important characteristic in the bees!

Many thanks.

Ben P

You are close to Stockbridge thornes. They may give you a good deal for educational purposes!

Exmoor bees may have some overwintered nucs if you get in early. Obviously could still be a decent trek dependant what end of the county your in.

I’m based in Dorset and expect to have a swarm or two next spring that I would like to go to good hom.
where are you based?

I’m based in Dorset and expect to have a swarm or two next spring that I would like to go to good hom.
where are you based?
With the best will in the world the op asked for a nuc from a reputable supplier for stocking a school. I have a site in a school as well as adjacent woods. It’s not a situation to take pot luck With a swarm however well intended. Ian

Then Exmoor bees would be my suggestion. By personal experience I can attest that they have been very garden friendly bees.
Also a lovely family to do business with.
Or you could contact the sbi (Kevin Pope) who would be able to suggest contacts local to Dorset.

Latest posts

Back