Something chewing on poly hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I suspect a rat may have done this and have moved hive entrance over the frame so no longer any purchase for one but wondering if anyone can identify for sure?

Attachments

• 2683A7E2-7A8F-4B38-988A-CA90850193AF.jpeg
    2683A7E2-7A8F-4B38-988A-CA90850193AF.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 104
Will check boundaries as area is enclosed. Never seen badgers but we have foxes. 3 other hives untouched next to it. Will get poly repair out anyway and dig out lifecam for tonight.

i thought badger but they may knock it over too (a friend down the road had this 3 years ago) cant really see a fox doing that

keep us posted on the camera

wonder what its eating/licking from front of hive...dead bees...some stores...if it likes it it may go further, interesting

i thought badger but they may knock it over too (a friend down the road had this 3 years ago) cant really see a fox doing that

keep us posted on the camera

wonder what its eating/licking from front of hive...dead bees...some stores...if it likes it it may go further, interesting
Thanks. It’s heavily strapped down so badger still suspected from what you say. Camera in position

For those who are having a problem, I recommend a cheap(ish) trail camera. My hives are on a roof, so I don't need it there, but i put it around the garden to see what creatures visit in the night. I get a couple of hedgehogs, three or four foxes, three tomcats on their nightly circuits and, only the once, a rat.

I suspect a rat may have done this and have moved hive entrance over the frame so no longer any purchase for one but wondering if anyone can identify for sure?
They are claw marks ... but as for a repair what I would do is glue a strip of formica over the damage rather than trying to fill it as whatever is having a go is going to come back and most fillers will be no more resistant than the poly. The edging strips that come with worktops are ideal.

They are claw marks ... but as for a repair what I would do is glue a strip of formica over the damage rather than trying to fill it as whatever is having a go is going to come back and most fillers will be no more resistant than the poly. The edging strips that come with worktops are ideal.
Thanks. Just done inspection of perimeter and something has dug under the sheep netting at the back of the area. Neighbours just advised me badgers in their field next to ours! Piled a load of large stones on top of more fence wire but will get our fencer on the case. Case solved I think but now worried about my alpacas and potential TB transmission. They are in fields at other side of the farm but just something else to worry about.

No Formica but loads of strong bungees and ratchet strap. I cannot move it. Next stop fencing guy.
Badgers are incredibly strong and tenacious creatures ... if it can it will try again ... if you don'[t have a strip of formica then a thin strip of timber - or anything to reinforce that area and perhaps prevent more damage to the hive ...

No Formica but loads of strong bungees and ratchet strap. I cannot move it. Next stop fencing guy.
The wire mesh surrounding the hive box is an interesting idea. We do not have badgers in Australia, but I wonder whether all that mesh may make it easier for a badger to get a really strong grip on the hive, and tip it over? Is it possible for the hive box to be strongly strapped down to a solid base, so that it is impossible to be tipped over?

The wire mesh surrounding the hive box is an interesting idea. We do not have badgers in Australia, but I wonder whether all that mesh may make it easier for a badger to get a really strong grip on the hive, and tip it over? Is it possible for the hive box to be strongly strapped down to a solid base, so that it is impossible to be tipped over?
I think the OP means they have reinforced the fence around the hives not covered the hive in mesh.

Burying the fence wire down into the ground by about a foot should stop the badger diggng under the fence but anything less they are more than capable of digging underneath it and pulling it out of the way. If a badger wants to get somewhere - it will ...

Yes. Some mesh has been put on around the hive and the box is already heavily strapped to a strong and heavy base that holds 4 hives along it so badger never got to pull it over. The mesh is an extremely strong gauge left over from a new chicken run. It is temporary as fence guy coming this week. Badger has not come through reinforced fence overnight in any event and camera just got the cat doing his rounds.

If its badgers a well placed multi lined electric fence will help - but it will need a powerful energiser as their thick fur is a good insulator.

Latest posts

Back