Somerset NewBee

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sargey

New Bee
Reaction score
Hi - thanks for the welcome - my wife and I are just starting on our beekeeping journey in Somerset.

We were looking to start beekeeping when a swarm decided to bivouac in our orchard, so with guidance from a local expert we got the swarm into a nucleus and now into a brand-new hive.

They seem to be doing well after a couple of weeks, building comb and looking healthy and not aggressive, which is nice.

No doubt we have plenty to learn.

Welcome. Have a browse round the forum and post your questions in the beginners section.
Free bees! Who can resist?

We're in a little village called Alhampton, about a mile outside Castle Cary.

We're fortunate enough to have an orchard where we have sited our new hive.

I'm thinking that joining a local beekeeping association is a must.

Yes join a local group.
I'm a 'newbee' and its a must.
Bee keepers must be one of the widest selections of people around.
I meet people I would never come across in 'real life' and maybe would not want to but the Bees unite us !

Also home of Charles Dowding as far as I recall, who occasionally gets a mention in the "smallholding" area here as there appear to be a few of us who are trying "no dig" vegetable growing (and who also apparently keeps bees according to his youtube videos).

James

Also home of Charles Dowding as far as I recall, who occasionally gets a mention in the "smallholding" area here as there appear to be a few of us who are trying "no dig" vegetable growing (and who also apparently keeps bees according to his youtube videos).

James
Been following Mr Dowding on You Tube.
Been no dig for a few years now in my veg garden and it works really well indeed.
I would recommend it to anyone growing veg.
Just taken on a free allotment on a farm down the lane, everyone's double digging and laughing at me putting a layer of cardboard down.
A good layer of free farm muck on top, potatoes and onions straight in and growing already.
Double diggers have a LOT of weeding to do now.
I'm laughing !

Just taken on a free allotment on a farm down the lane, everyone's double digging and laughing at me putting a layer of cardboard down.
A good layer of free farm muck on top, potatoes and onions straight in and growing already.

Made this one around a tree this afternoon as an experiment to see if some spare squashes will grow there. I'll put some woodchip (over cardboard) around the edge later, but I need to add a couple of wheelbarrows worth of soil where the path will go to level the ground out first.

veg-plot-2022-046.jpg

James

If you haven’t already found them, here is your nearest group, very friendly, very helpful, and no, I don’t belong to them. I’m in a different group in Somerset. Contact South East

They seem to be doing well after a couple of weeks, building comb and looking healthy and not aggressive, which is nice.
Hi, how are your bees and beekeeping?

Latest posts

Back