Somerford's Beehaus Blog

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Somerford

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Wiltshire, Somerset, S Glos & S Oxfordshire
Hive Type
National
Yes - have just been selected to run Omlet Beehaus courses in South Gloucestershire/North Wiltshire/South Oxfordshire region.

Quite exciting as our business already supplies Omlet with a gift range they sell via their web site, but the Beehaus will fit in nicely with The Somerford Beekeeping Group's aim to get more newbeeks - whether to not they decide the beehaus is best for them.

I haven't decided whether to update here yet or via an official 'blog' but rest assured there will be photos and updates here as and when !

I'm a National man by heart but have always been interested in Poly Hives and their wintering ability. I just might put a colony in the beehaus for the winter to see how it copes.

Do contact me for more information - the BH arrives next week.

regards

S
:grouphug:

Thanks Cie.

The first challenge will be this. If I decide to over winter a colony in the BH, I have to consider the fact the BH has deep frames (14x12) and I only have national frames.....will the space below cause a problem over winter or should I add a block of timber or similar to fill the space ?

ho humm, the fun begins !

I would of thought the plastic insulation will balance out the extra space you will have?

Thanks Cie.

The first challenge will be this. If I decide to over winter a colony in the BH, I have to consider the fact the BH has deep frames (14x12) and I only have national frames.....will the space below cause a problem over winter or should I add a block of timber or similar to fill the space ?

ho humm, the fun begins !

naaa they will be fine, in fact it may well help as there are those who over winter hives on top of an empty super (I may do a 50/50 test on my hives).

I leave my floors open all winter.
I think its the loss of heat above the cluster thats more of a problem for bee's than any space below.

Last winter I left an empty super above the brood box with the crownboard on the super.

Begining of January they were fine,then I had a minus 8-12c temp second week of January and they froze to death.
They had stores on both sides of them but seemed to cold to move.

That was my only winter loss and I am sure the space above them is what caused them to perish.

Hi Somerford

I have just transfered over on of my national hives to the beehaus.

I do not consider the shorter frames to be a problem for this over winter period. Brace/drone comb is unlikley to be built on the base of the frames.

As for the mesh floor, if you not it is not exactly a tight fit, more just to catch bit then to seal off from the elements.

The insualtion of the hive far out ways the fesh air from the base.

I always over wintered my hationals on mesh floors.

Nice to have a fellow Beehaus'er:cheers2:

PS what colour is yours?

admin : i guess that’s no surprise, assume that the warmth rose above the cluster

in terms of adding a super (still on top of OMF) under I think the view is you are raising them a little further away from any strong drafts/wind, something we have locally is very strong winds

Last edited:
I forgot about that, Jezd. I did read somewhere that some beeks leave their colony open to the elements underneath (no floor) all winter.

Has anyone else tried this ?

Not a good idea IMHO, you need a mouse guard on the entrance and a mouse proof floor.

I think Somerford was talking about not sealing off the omf ?

The biggest problem with leaving the space is that they will fill it early in spring, or at least She will be laying in some built comb before you get chance to 'farm them out'.

Will just set them back a bit. I used to do that but got fed up with them building in the wrong place early in the season. If you get the opportunity to remove that space (or fill it) before they get going in the spring, no problem.

All my bees are on OMFs. IMO ventilation is most important; with no top ventilation at all, plenty at the bottom is needed to prevent any condensation (which is more likely the killer). The bees will look after the temperature (with a little help - like close fitting insulated dummy boards and top insulation).

Regards,RAB

I agree 090..
Thats how I do things.
I am not saying its correct,just the way I overwinter.

Couple of things to consider here.

Normal poly hives have an entrance which excludes mice. I have never had a mouse get in that way.

So if a super is under the brood the same entrance exists as does the lack of entry for mice.

A gap below a poly is of no account as the advantage is in the wall warmth and the roof warmth.

One of these days this minor fact will register and the bees will have a better accommodation as they do in Europe.

PH

Normal poly hives have an entrance which excludes mice. I have never had a mouse get in that way.

Any chance of some detail of this? and maybe a picture please? As I intend to build my own poly hives :)

One of these days this minor fact will register and the bees will have a better accommodation as they do in Europe.

PH

It's already sunk in here :) See above :)

Yours Roy

sorry to be negative gingernut but the cost involved and the work are frankly not worth it compared to the cost of the hives in the flat.

Put it like this. I have made hundreds of supers and broods in timber, I wouldn't waste my time trying to make poly.

PH

I leave my floors open all winter.
I think its the loss of heat above the cluster thats more of a problem for bee's than any space below.

Last winter I left an empty super above the brood box with the crownboard on the super.

Begining of January they were fine,then I had a minus 8-12c temp second week of January and they froze to death.
They had stores on both sides of them but seemed to cold to move.

That was my only winter loss and I am sure the space above them is what caused them to perish.

As this blog has already tangented several times already, i'll add another... is it worth putting a plywood skirt around the stand to help reduce the heat loss?

As this blog has already tangented several times already, i'll add another... is it worth putting a plywood skirt around the stand to help reduce the heat loss?

I find it better to use 150mm gravel board as it's both cheap and durable.

As this blog has already tangented several times already

This is what happens at times with forum threads.
Somerford,click the Blog button and start a proper Blog,you will get loads of members reading it.
That way everyone can comment without going off on a tangent.

Latest posts

Back