Somerford Hive Stand

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I’m calling this the Somerford hive stand design - it’s able to take 3 hives - wide enough for poly too (final photo for an example)

nailed together - although I’ve used coach screws in the past.

legs can be 10x10 or 12x12

length as required. Cross members are 26” for the 10x10 a little wider for the 12x12s

middle cross member about 14.5”

24 x 4” nails
KR
S

ps - all the timber was free....

Attachments

• 0A081F0B-FCD9-4081-A8D4-13DAC4936896.jpeg
    0A081F0B-FCD9-4081-A8D4-13DAC4936896.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 619
  • 89CACE6F-65F8-473A-967C-D7CFF708FE23.jpeg
    89CACE6F-65F8-473A-967C-D7CFF708FE23.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 113
  • 98341D99-6353-4358-B710-618E387E2912.jpeg
    98341D99-6353-4358-B710-618E387E2912.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 108
  • D1E2798A-1553-44C1-9F9E-A466AE50057A.jpeg
    D1E2798A-1553-44C1-9F9E-A466AE50057A.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 109
Hi, you said you used 4" screws or coach screws what about using100mm timber locks like this. Are these the same as what you used?

The stands look strong and don't look as flimsy as some you can buy.
They will last a few years.
I need to make some new stands they look easy enough.
Would it be a plan to use some sleeper cut offs as feet? say 1' long for a bit of extra stability?

I like the simplicity of design ... works well .,. more so with free wood !

I don't really like nails for jobs like this though they never seem to stand the test of time. Coach bolts are expensive so my preference would be decking screws with waterproof PVA glue sloshed in the mating faces ... coat of creosote or other wood preservatives and they are there for the long haul.

It's strange really, I don't think I've ever seen a hive on a specially constructed hive stand here in Tas, although I have seen some on stands on the mainland (on the TV/Internet). I get the feeling that they are very commonplace in the UK.

It's strange really, I don't think I've ever seen a hive on a specially constructed hive stand here in Tas, although I have seen some on stands on the mainland (on the TV/Internet). I get the feeling that they are very commonplace in the UK.
Stands and pallets are a very common sight

Stands and pallets are a very common sight
Yeah, pallets here. I'm guessing stands not so popular because of the necessity to move hives to chase nectar and pollen here.
Plus I guess the huge nectar flows and therefore gigantically tall hives here would mean a higher ladder needed, unless the stand was very low to the ground I suppose.

Last edited:
So I’m calling this the Somerford hive stand design - it’s able to take 3 hives - wide enough for poly too (final photo for an example)

nailed together - although I’ve used coach screws in the past.

legs can be 10x10 or 12x12

length as required. Cross members are 26” for the 10x10 a little wider for the 12x12s

middle cross member about 14.5”

24 x 4” nails
KR
S

ps - all the timber was free....
I have some concern with the design. It seems that all the load is taken by the fasteners (nails). The joints should allow the wood to take the load, the fasteners should just hold it all together.

Any one using old landy tires.... who was it in France who was using them???

Ideally the leg tops need notching so at least the rails sit on a half lap to support weight.

I have some concern with the design. It seems that all the load is taken by the fasteners (nails). The joints should allow the wood to take the load, the fasteners should just hold it all together.
No issues at all - been using this design for years. Have 3 hives with 5 or more supers on them no problems

I like the simplicity of design ... works well .,. more so with free wood !

I don't really like nails for jobs like this though they never seem to stand the test of time. Coach bolts are expensive so my preference would be decking screws with waterproof PVA glue sloshed in the mating faces ... coat of creosote or other wood preservatives and they are there for the long haul.
Decking screws aren’t designed for horizontal loading - hence nails or coach bolts

Hi, you said you used 4" screws or coach screws what about using100mm timber locks like this. Are these the same as what you used?

Would it be a plan to use some sleeper cut offs as feet? say 1' long for a bit of extra stability?
Yes those timber screws would do the trick

Yes sleeper cut offs are fine IF they aren’t old sleepers that are probably deteriorating . New sleepers ideal. Just adjust the end pieces if you place the sleepers short side onwards to accommodate. Would make for a very stable hive stand that

No issues at all - been using this design for years. Have 3 hives with 5 or more supers on them no problems
Whole thing would collapse if loaded with 3 hives with 3 supers each full of honey.... over 1 ton?

It can take two of me and not move a mm or a 16th even
That's fair enough, just offering constructive feed back as others have. You are happy with them having tried other options so that's what counts.

Back