Some use Langstroth, some don't

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBG

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Polystyrene & lots more next year again hopefully
What are the advantages and disadvantages, likes/dislikes.

Any thoughts please.

I like the longer handholds on National frames = about 36mm

While Langs and Smiths are only = about 18mm

I put about as I cant remember if my quoted the sizes are right or not.

That's the bit at each end?

If it is, it's not much on the bigger frames is it.

When you handle Langstroth and Nat, and Smith on a daily basis you soon come to find that the short lug is preferable.

PH

Adv.
Top bee space
Brood box of approx. 72000 cells is often cited as the "optimum" size.
Widely used worldwide so plenty of kit about.
Plenty of polyhives available if that is your thing.

Dis.
Short lugs seen by some as disadvantage (but not by me)
It's not national as most nucs etc in this country supplied on these.

They are less clumsy to handle. The lug turns inside your hand without catching.

PH

But as a newbie last year, I found frame handling on my teacher's short lugged commercials nerve racking. Was glad when I started to handle my own bees on my Nationals. Since gaining some confidence, in another year or two I might switch to commercial BB and still use my national supers. Will see.

P H,

If the short lugs are that much better, I am wondering why Nationals have not been offered, modified for short lug frames. Is it just plain conservatism on the part of beekeepers, or simply just your preference, or is the difference is so marginal?

It would only need a couple strips of wood fitting, to change over? So is there anyone out there that has made that change?

I have never even thought about it; I inherited a of couple short lug frames when I started and they may be still around somewhere, but I have never considered altering my boxes.

Regards, RAB

Err........Smith?

and the original poly National which was best done with the Smith lug.

PH

Last edited:
I sold a Smith Nuc last year from a national hive.

Just took a B+D workmate and a handsaw to the apiary,10 minutes later: one Smith nuc :smilielol5:

Ah yes, from north of the border you would know about them!

But small 'andles.

Regards, RAB

Last edited:
Just preference....i prefer the long lugs...if i did not....then it could be very quickly altered to short lug use.

If I had a £5 note for every Nat I have hacksawed to Smith I could near retire.

If you have never tried a short lug, and yes initially it feels odd, but it soon feel much better.

Lets be honest here, if short lug was so bad then why does it thrive in so many other countries other than this tradition bound isle? If our system is so great and good why has it not conquered abroad? Might it be because it is...............

arguable?

PH

Big advantage of any short-lugged frame is that DIY hive construction becomes a lot more straightforward. It's just a 4-sided box.

I have used short lug....and i don't like them,lots of people, like many different things,from many different parts of the world.....perhaps it should just be called genetic diversity....instead of everyone being an exact clone of each other.

I started out with long lugs but going the MD route = short lugs .To start it was a bit of a pain but i soon got used to them .Are they easier umm i don't know but it's my first yr so i will have a better idea next season :)

I will admit my prejudice here in private..lol

I do like a poly Langstroth. The bees love it. I like it, and it just feels good.

I am talking AMM here. It suited them to their pollen baskets.

PH

Well I'm running both and can't see that it matters that much.

Beginners seem to fine long lugs easier..they prefer to work the Nationals rather than the Langstroths - partly because they think they are less likley to get stung with longer lugs.

Latest posts

Back