Some pics to amuse and even inform?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck with op. My hubby's just had this done endoscopically and six weeks later is back fell running :)

Great pics thank you. Hope the opp goes ok Iv got mine on the 22nd no driving for a week

Fab pics PH, I hope you've got more for us to see.

Take advantage of the sympathy and demand tea every hour and biscuits every 2 hours.

another 1000 or so but Admin might protest at the load on his server....

PH

A set of grafts in the frame that is modded to hold them using some aluminum on the side bars.

A fed and filled mini nuc ready to spend the night in the cool and dark ready for a virgin in the morning.

A ripe queen cell, which looks small but is none the less a good one by virtue of the feeding the larvae has had.

And one to ponder upon. It holds true today as much as when it was made, some oh fifty years ago.

PH

A cheap but effective hive strap using nylon cord and 3 links from a light chain.

Close up of above.

A queenless colony being used to start cells. Too weak to my mind and too much space.

Bees collected for making up mini nucs being "held down" by the presence of a mated queen in the catcher.

My hives set out on the OSR. Not sure of the year though.

The hives at Craibstone, home from the heather and being fed after being stripped of Heather honey. The top feeders held between three and four gallons depending on the slope.

Craibstone in the spring.

Close up of the double hive stand Bernard made which folded down for transport. The legs pivoted on a long coach bolt.

PH

Apologies for the upside down shot but once up they (it seems) cannot be adjusted.

A polyurethane hive with the entrance block in. They failed by virtue of condensation, the hive type not the block. :)

Oil seed rape.

two hives kept back at Craibstone for queenrearing.

Slightly blurred shot of the active part of the clearer board. 8mm gap.

That's it for tonight.

PH

These are all fascinating. Have you thought of putting them into a book? (Or perhaps you are already an author, and I have just missed out on anything by P Hive?).

I suppose I have written enough on there to make a book but are there not enough out there with out adding to the glut?

PH

Really interesting pictures, can't wait to see more.

Have you thought about making a photobook with them that many sites do now. You can make them up and sell them as you only order what you want. I am sure you will get many takers. I would for one.

AMM bees in Spring, note the cappings wax fragment on the alighting board.

AMM bees again, guard challenging forager.

Elderly Apiary. Note the Glen hive on the left under the rusty corrugated iron. The rest are home made WBC's and I remember them well as not one lift fitted another hive..LOL and what a job to get them home. The bees were escaping as fast as i could plug the holes with foam rubber.

PH

Old comb from a wild colony.

The polyurethane hive, another failure...

Loading a skep from a National colony.

An alighting board of indeterminate age...LOL

these are fantastic images. really enjoying looking through them.

Back