Some of you may be contacted

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grizzly

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I had a call yesterday from a lady linked in some way to the National Trust, they have apparently been given sponsorship from a film making company, cant remember the name, to go out and buy 12 hives, they will be located on National Trust properties around the country, and they are looking for individuals to guide others through the year, along with the bees, and there will be Telly/Radio/Web broadcasts on the Hives progress.

That was the main content of the conversation, she was trying to see if i would look after the BBC Radio Solent hive, which would be placed in the same location as mine. (I asked for more info on this before agreeing) dont want to draw too much attention to my own hives to be honest, but if its a select few, perhaps !!.

This was a little vague as it was her first phone call on the project, but could be a very interesting one, let me know if you get a call, or when she e-mails me i could pass on your details, if you are near a National Trust property.

Cheers
Andy

Andy,

Now then, are you sure she was not from Nigeria, or similar? Wanting to know your pin numbers? Or from somewhere closer wanting to know the whereabouts and other details of your bee colonies?

However, if bonafide, could be good connection. Ring her back via a known NT number.

Regards, RAB

I will just wait for her first communication by e-mail, and see what is said. I have to meet someone first before i think about giving away where i keep my bees, i usually give a false location just in case.

The only drawback with NT sites is the staff usually end up knowing where you are, which is why i reduced my hives at that location to just 1 last summer.

Interesting prospect. will they source the 12 colonies/hives from one place or will they be bought in from a number of places. The point being that ideally they would be BI checked before they arrive in your (collective term) apiaries.

Nothing like doing someone a favour only to end up with a standstill order or worse. :)
I'm sure that others will have views from this angle also, but not necessarily with a sceptical outlook.

If NT staff are anything like local council staff, then I can understand why the bees are best off their radar. Like any other responsible group of people, they doubtless have their own share of the clowns and help yourself merchants that frequent our shores. Need to know or limited knowledge of their location is the only security that can be usefully employed.

Good opportunity for exposure, one way and another. :) Good luck, well worth thinking about.

If NT staff are anything like local council staff, then I can understand why the bees are best off their radar. Like any other responsible group of people, they doubtless have their own share of the clowns and help yourself merchants that frequent our shores. Need to know or limited knowledge of their location is the only security that can be usefully employed.

I can see it now. NT risk assement and NT mode of Operation agreed statement, then BBC risk assemment", counter signed by Head NT and Head of BBC local radio and your self , St John Ambulance first Aid back up, two Epi pens at £250 each for BBC staff and waiver signed by all BBC staff if they get stung not agreed with Trade Union so delays of about two weeks from original date.

And to open up the hive an Exclusion zone for Genral public to be clear two hours before you open the hive becasue £5m BBKA insurance being invalid as this is a commercial film. so New Public liabilty insurance specially under written at £10m, large catering vehicule, BBC staff toilets and rest Bus special fitted with Bee proof entrance

Why do i think this? ,well i worked with the BBC on a short film about a TFL bridge...37 people turned up to film for two hours, catering vehicule etc and we had to turn off the eletric fourth rail power while they film 30ft away from the tube line for a 5 minute video

Last edited:
You are probably spot on, i completed more paperwork to get my bees on a National Trust site than i saw in my entire NHS working life.

She did also go strangely quiet when i told her it would not be sensible to have hives in a public spot. i think the response was "Oh ...."

Anyway - we shall see.

Latest posts

Back