Solway bees - anyone dealt with them?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Given the pictures in the link posted above and the fact they never dealt with a valid (IMO) complaint, I'd say the negative criticism is justified.

Nic complained about the delay, but not about the more important matter of the quality. When he did - publicly, on this forum - the supplier was quick to contact hiim and seek to rectify the problem. It would have been better had Nic complained directly and immediately.

No complaints here, ordered roofs, brood boxes, all made up with no issues. Quality was ok, postage and packing was okay, I think delivered by Parcelforce. Not the quickest of deliveries from what I remember, a few days (2).

Wish I'd never ordered from Solway Bee Supplies.

Ordered some foundation on 16th May. Received a confirmation of order by email saying they were posting the next day.

It is now two weeks since order. They have replied once to an email from me asking about delivery.

They replied:
Thank you for the e-mail.
Your order is about to be dispatched and will be with you Wednesday/Thursday.
(this week)

It is now Friday and still no delivery.

This afternoon their phone lines have been engaged all afternoon.

What this firm needs to realise is that both delivery and service is miles better from other bee supply firms to the extent that even if they are offering a keener price it isn't going to matter!

I ordered 2 complete English Cedar hives 3 weeks ago, emailed last week to find out where they had got to and reply said that they were working on them now! That was a week ago, might be cheaper than main suppliers but I would have had them by now. Now totally out of equipment, last weeks swarm is hopefully still in the poly nuc, will find out in an hour or so.

I ordered 2 complete English Cedar hives 3 weeks ago, emailed last week to find out where they had got to and reply said that they were working on them now! That was a week ago, might be cheaper than main suppliers but I would have had them by now. Now totally out of equipment, last weeks swarm is hopefully still in the poly nuc, will find out in an hour or so.

to be fair most well made hives are made to order and you are ordering at probably the busiest time of the year for those making them.

Wish I'd never ordered from Solway Bee Supplies.

Ordered some foundation on 16th May. Received a confirmation of order by email saying they were posting the next day.

It is now two weeks since order. They have replied once to an email from me asking about delivery.

They replied:
Thank you for the e-mail.
Your order is about to be dispatched and will be with you Wednesday/Thursday.
(this week)

It is now Friday and still no delivery.

This afternoon their phone lines have been engaged all afternoon.

What this firm needs to realise is that both delivery and service is miles better from other bee supply firms to the extent that even if they are offering a keener price it isn't going to matter!

Just for fairness.

I eventually did get through to Solway last Saturday morning and they were totally out of foundation (which my order was for) and told me that all the major suppliers were out which was why my order was late.

Since then they have been exemplary. Even got a call on Sunday morning to say they had managed to secure a shipment from Poland which they would need to wire on Monday and then it would go out.

I received the order on Tuesday!

I did make the point that communication is all and had I known of the reason for the delay I would have been more understanding and they apologised.

I had ordered stuff off them before and have an outstanding order with them, never had any trouble and always find them helpful on the phone. I rang them the other week and just asked what their deliveries were like atm and was told it would be at least a week given how busy they were, I ordered from elsewhere because of it. Given how bees have been I have found most suppliers have been very busy the last month or so in particular. If you need stuff in a hurry its always best to ring whoever you are going to order off first and ask saves a lot of hassle and frustration.

I had ordered stuff off them before and have an outstanding order with them, never had any trouble and always find them helpful on the phone. I rang them the other week and just asked what their deliveries were like atm and was told it would be at least a week given how busy they were, I ordered from elsewhere because of it. Given how bees have been I have found most suppliers have been very busy the last month or so in particular. If you need stuff in a hurry its always best to ring whoever you are going to order off first and ask saves a lot of hassle and frustration.

Good advice. I understand for all the suppliers that May and beginning of June is a complete nightmare!

Suppliers not having gear during the peak weeks seems to happen every year. Lessons never seem to be learnt by suppliers or their clients. Why don't beekeepers buy all their stuff in advance during the quiet season in the sales ? Why don't suppliers stock up ready for the busy parts of the year?

From the client perspective because beekeeping over a year never works out how you anticipate. I desperately needed more foundation because the honey laid down is way above expectation and hives have swarmed more than any year I know.

Nucs are not cheap are they!!

to be fair most well made hives are made to order and you are ordering at probably the busiest time of the year for those making them.

To follow from my previous post after emailing I was told they were working on my order and a week later it arrived. However the cedar was soaking wet and weighed a ton, when I tried to put the brood box together the swollen joints did not want to fit. So to be fair I have left the whole lot to dry out in my conservatory and yesterday put a super together. Again the joints are pretty poor, so well made definitely not, would I buy from them again no, the quality is below that from the big suppliers seconds, very disappointed. I'll now get my tin hat and wait for the criticism.

I've been really disappointed with Solway, and I think quite patient. I placed an order on the third of March for a number of complete hives with wax (it was quite a big order but was accepted so thought it wouldn't be a problem)... Over a month later (so during April) and after a fair bit of chasing I eventually received the hives... Checking later I found they had not sent me any of the wax or frames that should have been included.... further emails resulted in them explaining they should have sent them by courier as wouldn't have fitted on pallet, but they didn't and said they would send them. It is now JUNE and I still don't have any wax or frames, I've used up my on stores and had to buy some to see me over. I'm so frustrated as contact is useless. I'm beginning to wonder if the rest of my order will ever show up. What are my rights re: ensuring I either get my order or some money back? Before posting here I sent an email to share how upset and frustrated I am by all this and have had no response.

I've been really disappointed with Solway, and I think quite patient. I placed an order on the third of March for a number of complete hives with wax (it was quite a big order but was accepted so thought it wouldn't be a problem)... Over a month later (so during April) and after a fair bit of chasing I eventually received the hives... Checking later I found they had not sent me any of the wax or frames that should have been included.... further emails resulted in them explaining they should have sent them by courier as wouldn't have fitted on pallet, but they didn't and said they would send them. It is now JUNE and I still don't have any wax or frames, I've used up my on stores and had to buy some to see me over. I'm so frustrated as contact is useless. I'm beginning to wonder if the rest of my order will ever show up. What are my rights re: ensuring I either get my order or some money back? Before posting here I sent an email to share how upset and frustrated I am by all this and have had no response.

If you paid by credit card the card company will be able to help.

Tell them you will be telling all the Beeks on the forum of their poor service......

It's a shame they are so incompetent as I'm about to order some poly hives and theirs were in the running.... Not any more

Incidentally I was disappointed that Maisie's took an order from me last Monday and when I rang today they said it won't be sent till Monday. What have they been doing for the past week! Woman on phone was very arsey when I asked when to expect delivery and told me it was a busy time of year.

Tell them you will be telling all the Beeks on the forum of their poor service......

It's a shame they are so incompetent as I'm about to order some poly hives and theirs were in the running.... Not any more

Incidentally I was disappointed that Maisie's took an order from me last Monday and when I rang today they said it won't be sent till Monday. What have they been doing for the past week! Woman on phone was very arsey when I asked when to expect delivery and told me it was a busy time of year.

I honestly didn't want to get to this stage where I'm slagging off a company. I went with them primarily as I feel very strongly in supporting smaller businesses and hence why I have been so patient but I'm frustrated and desperate now. I've lost swarms and honey as a result of lack of equipment. To be fair to them they have sent me a small box of wax and some frames or tied me over a while back but I can't survive on that, I just want what I bought, that's not too much to ask is it after 3 months?

Last edited:
I honestly didn't want to get to this stage where I'm slagging off a company. I went with them primarily as I feel very strongly in supporting smaller businesses and hence why I have been so patient but I'm frustrated and desperate now. I've lost swarms and honey as a result of lack of equipment. To be fair to them they have sent me a small box of wax and some frames or tied me over a while back but I can't survive on that, I just want what I bought, that's not too much to ask is it after 3 months?

I think 3 months is a ridiculously long time to wait for an order. I would definitely be issuing threats re trading standards and online shaming..... Then follow through if goods don't arrive promptly.

Back