Solstice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do224

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I keep seeing mention in various threads that the June solstice is a turning point for the bees.

I’m assuming it’s just a rough guide…or does it tend to be pretty accurate?

So what tends to happen after the solstice? Swarming reduces markedly? Colonies begin to contract rather than grow? Expect to see more stores in the brood box? Drones are no longer laid?

Last edited:
June is the summer solstice. Solstice summer and winter, Equinox spring and autumn.

Quite. The equinoxes occur when night and day are (give or take) the same length. Solstices are when the Sun reaches it's highest and lowest maximum elevation in the sky.

I suspect any changes in the bees behaviour after the Summer solstice are more likely to be due to reduced income of pollen and nectar because there are a reducing number of daylight hours to go foraging (as well as fewer plants available to forage on, perhaps) and that the bees are not responding to directly to the solstice event itself. The link between any change in behaviour and the solstice is probably more down to it being easy for beekeepers to remember, though I imagine "sometime around the end of June" would work equally well as a substitute.

James

So what tends to happen after the solstice?
I’m assuming it’s just a rough guide…or does it tend to be pretty accurate?

solstice is the birth of dark and light summer solstice the birth of dark and winter of light , its the cyrcle of life and for bees the cyrcle of brood which follows it while equinox is about who ll lead the battle ,dark or light and so all together the birth of the seassons for bees equinox has to do with the birth change of population ,summer bees and winter bees(following the pollen path) and so if you if you connect them and make the cross cyrcle you will see the whole bees bio life cyrcle in quadrants and so where you are how close or far from next

both solstice and equinox is not a thing we notice directly but its happening same goes with bees we see anything in a delay

So what tends to happen after the solstice
nothing much, people like to add myth and legends to their beekeeping.
Personally I have found over the years that the Royal Welsh show is a good marker to the turning point in the year
There's something sinister about the ones born on the left side
but I've found that left handers tend to be more dextrous.

nothing much, people like to add myth and legends to their beekeeping.
Personally I have found over the years that the Royal Welsh show is a good marker to the turning point in the year

but I've found that left handers tend to be more dextrous.
The right handers are basically cattle.

The beliefs around bee behaviour and the summer solstice are location dependant. The solstice has long passed and my bees have yet to ramp up. The main flow is one week out.

So sure, use the timing of bee behaviour and what to expect based the summer solstice but remember to only pay attention to advice on what to do based on the solstice from those in your own geographical zone.

In general, egg laying will reduce after the end of June, but lots of foragers to come though! Bees can spend their energies on gathering enough food for winter (which we can nick if there's some spare) rather than having a large brood-nest to feed all year. Swarming will also become less likely as July moves on too.
It is very apparent that nucleus colonies grow like crackers in May and June. Much less quickly in July and August, despite the later months being warm and easy for brood-rearing.

Latest posts

Back