Solitary bee

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

severac

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello,
a few days ago I noticed that a bee was tearing parts of my leaves on the terrace. I looked a little better and saw that some kind of bee was taking those parts of the leaves to the pot on my terrace and digging a tunnel under the stone that serves to keep the pot from being blown away by the wind. I guess it’s a solitary bee, because it seems to me that there is only one. I picked up the stone and noticed a tunnel leading along that stone, then into the depths of the pot. The bee doesn't bother me except it's tearing off parts of the leaves, but I'm worried if it can harm the olives I grow in that pot?

Hello,
a few days ago I noticed that a bee was tearing parts of my leaves on the terrace. I looked a little better and saw that some kind of bee was taking those parts of the leaves to the pot on my terrace and digging a tunnel under the stone that serves to keep the pot from being blown away by the wind. I guess it’s a solitary bee, because it seems to me that there is only one. I picked up the stone and noticed a tunnel leading along that stone, then into the depths of the pot. The bee doesn't bother me except it's tearing off parts of the leaves, but I'm worried if it can harm the olives I grow in that pot?
It won’t harm anything. It is making a nest where it will lay a succession of eggs in little compartments where it will collect and leave pollen to feed the developing bee Next spring the new bees will emerge and the cycle begins again somewhere else. You are lucky to see it. It is a leafcutter bee. A1EE1722-12D0-4B1F-ABC8-3AE28240A4C6.jpeg

Someone came up to me in the Royal Welsh a few years ago, he was a cactus growing enthusiast, he had had miner bees his cactus pots for a few years and he had managed to film her pulling a stone out of the pot to clear the way for a tunnel

Here in the UK they are simply known as ' Leaf cutter bees' as they block the entrance once finished with a leaf cutting where as the mason bee uses mud.
Both types of bee use the same bee hotels I made.
As to damaging plants only the leaf is damaged.

Here in the UK they are simply known as ' Leaf cutter bees' as they block the entrance once finished with a leaf cutting where as the mason bee uses mud.
Both types of bee use the same bee hotels I made.
As to damaging plants only the leaf is damaged.
They are wonderful to watch doing their stuff🐝

Hello to everyone and thanks for the answers. Unfortunately, I haven't seen my bee in two days. I saw her two days ago and she was bringing pollen, she had pollen on her stomach. They sprayed mosquitoes around my building and I’m afraid it didn’t kill her. Either she's cleverly hiding from me or she's done her job, I don't know what to think. I will follow what is happening, but I have seen her more often before. I will enclose photos of the tree she tore, and one of her photos, where she showed up a bit.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 5
Yes, you could be right and she has done her work. Life for these bees are but short until the next generation emerges. In my garden the bee hotels are doing well with Mason and smaller solitary bees, I will have to make some more as this year there will little room at the inn for Leafcutters.
Cottoneaster is very busy today with 6 or 7 bee species counted inc A.m.

Latest posts

Back