solid ivy honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sahtlinurk

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi everyone,

took my ivy supers off and now in some frames there are honey already gone solid. How can i clean/clear the stuff out? This ivy honey is more a nuisance than anything else in Autumn...

Lauri

I've got exactly the same problem. Frames have a mixture of crystallised and unripe honey. The unripe is at about 27% water, so it would probably ferment if it was extracted. My plan is to let it either set or be capped in the next week or so, then heat the frames to about 50 degrees C and extract if possible...

I've got exactly the same problem. Frames have a mixture of crystallised and unripe honey. The unripe is at about 27% water, so it would probably ferment if it was extracted. My plan is to let it either set or be capped in the next week or so, then heat the frames to about 50 degrees C and extract if possible...

I have extracted some ivy honey over last few days and promptly flushed it away.........I was warned its disgusting but didnt realise how bad it is, akin to sucking vic's vapour rub !:ack2:

Why not just leave it for the bees to overwinter on ? Do you need to take it off ?

Just a thought.

I have extracted some ivy honey over last few days and promptly flushed it away.........I was warned its disgusting but didnt realise how bad it is, akin to sucking vic's vapour rub !:ack2:
Apparently it mellows very well. Worth putting in a bucket for later use or feeding to the bees as previously mentioned.

nothing wrong with the taste, it is different but for sure not bad:cheers2:

If it is so solid on the comb can the bees utilise it over winter when they have no water to help dilute it. Thats why syrup is better to store as winter food.

I have spun off uncapped, unripe honey and used for cooking. Shops that homebake will be glad of it- but I don't do that of course as don't have correct labelling for that sort of product :)

18% is 18% whether it is crystallised or liquid so no different to sugar honey in that respect.

Might be a little harder to get it, but they do have all winter to do it! They seem to cope quite well with crystallised OSR returns (which will not spin out from the frames).

A lot of the stores will be used for spring brood so it should be warmer then anyway.

Regards, RAB

Latest posts

Back