jenkinsbrynmair 

International Beekeeper of Mystery
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
I don't bother closing the entrances when vaping from the bottom - very little escapes that way until it has risen as far as the crownboard

Poly Hive 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
Skimming through this thread I haven't seen anyone ask the basic question. Are your hives elevated on stands or close to the ground? It makes an odds.

PH

jenkinsbrynmair 

International Beekeeper of Mystery
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
Are your hives elevated on stands or close to the ground? It makes an odds.
Not really - know people who overwinter hundreds of hives on OMF just on pallets and they come through fine.
All mine are on 18" stands - same

krennie 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Skimming through this thread I haven't seen anyone ask the basic question. Are your hives elevated on stands or close to the ground? It makes an odds.

PH
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3442.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3442.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3442.jpg
hello . - my hive is a wooden national and is raised on legs - here is an old photo taken earlier this year

madasafish 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
6 to 8 Langstroth jumbos, a few Langstroth and National nucs.

PH

Mine are all on 25 to 30cm high stands. Hence closed floors.

ericbeaumont 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Folkestone Kent
If your bees were on a windy Welsh hillside they might benefit from having the inspection board slotted in for winter (or an empty super under the BB, or a solid floor) but in warmer Folkstone I don't reckon it's worth the bother.

Glad you posted the photo, which is the opposite of a windy Welsh hillside and shows the hive hemmed in by 6' fence panels and a eucalyptus. I'd be more concerned with loitering damp caused by a lack of airflow, and leave the board out.

In the end you must weigh up the options, follow your instinct and monitor. If you do put in the board, check it every so often: it may be covered with mouldy pollen, mouldy wax and other mouldy mould, in which case take it out.

krennie 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
If your bees were on a windy Welsh hillside they might benefit from having the inspection board slotted in for winter (or an empty super under the BB, or a solid floor) but in warmer Folkstone I don't reckon it's worth the bother.

Glad you posted the photo, which is the opposite of a windy Welsh hillside and shows the hive hemmed in by 6' fence panels and a eucalyptus. I'd be more concerned with loitering damp caused by a lack of airflow, and leave the board out.

In the end you must weigh up the options, follow your instinct and monitor. If you do put in the board, check it every so often: it may be covered with mouldy pollen, mouldy wax and other mouldy mould, in which case take it out.
thankyou for useful advice.

Latest posts