Solar Wax melter

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plumberman

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 and ahem "a few more"
Seeing that a well known manufacturer sells solar wax extractors for >£200 thought I would have a go. Mostly scrap bits of OSR board, but double glazed polycarbonate cost £8.00.

Works really well, black oven tray far too hot too touch in sunshine this afternoon and all the wax satisfactorily melted.

Still slightly experimental, and might look at putting some nylon stockings over the wax collector. Was restricted a bit by the size of the large oven tray that I liberated from my wifes substantial collection, and ideally would want it a bit bigger. I can get one large brood frame in.

Needs painting and finishing off ( remove the temp bits to hold the frame together), but rather pleased with it.

nice, but where did you manage to find some sunshine? LOL

That looks good, it was another thing that was on this weekends to do list but never got done!

We certainly had enough sun in Devon today.

Weather over cast and chilly till about 2.30, then clouds just disappeared and blazing hot!

Plumberman, i put the wax in the stockings in my melter, it then seeps out as pure wax. I also use old margerine tubs to collect it as it gives it a nice block shape. The last few days have been ideal for solar melters.

Peter

I have broken the glass of my Solar Wax melter.
Where do you buy double glazed polycarbonate?

Or would perspex work OK?

Not sure about the alternatives - you would need technical specifications. Glass works because the frequency/wavelength of the Sun' rays pass through unimpeded (just like visible light) but the IR radiated by the box (of a different frequency/wavelength than it incoming variety) after the sun's rays have warmed it are retained by the glass (as in 'greenhouse effect'). Some glass is further improved by coating with certain compounds to increas this retention (by reflecting more of the 'box radiation' while not impeding the incoming rays).

It may be that an inner sheet of glass would be more effective in combination (than two layers of plastic sheet) with a plastic (poly -carbonate or -methacrylate) as it would combine both attributes of IR retention of the glass with the tough outer less-breakable properties of the plastic leaf.

As an aside, normal glasshouse glass absorbs a good deal of the ultraviolet rays, so people working in glasshouses, while it may feel very hot, do not get so much of a tan as when they are out in the open in the direct sunshine. This was from earlier days before humans destroyed a large amount of the ozone layer and may not be so appropriate in today's world.

Regards, RAB

I have broken the glass of my Solar Wax melter.
Where do you buy double glazed polycarbonate?

Or would perspex work OK?

Go to a doble glazing manufacturer and ask them if you can have any of their off cuts of glass.

As long as it isn't too big a piece, it won't be that heavy and you may find they let you have it for nothing.

Latest posts

Back