Solar wax melter

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Using a pair of tights filters the wax really well, lots of good clean wax comes through and leave the dross inside. I then tie two knots, snipped between the two, and hey presto, one fire lighter and you can start filling the leg up again. I recon I could get about 8 good melts from one pair.

great idea with fire lighters - just shows nothing much needs to be wasted if you really think about it :)

Hi guys,

I sort of asked this before, in a jokey sort of a way, but no-one responded.
( I did wonder if it were too stupid a question for an answer. But I can ask a daft question a bit easier, now the Beastie Boys are in detention.)

Is there any reason why it's not advisable to melt wax off old frames by putting it in the bottom oven of an Aga? In a big tray, when there's nothing else going in for a while, obviously.

After all, an Aga oven is self-cleaning and ventilated.

Would it be too hot and spoil the wax in some way?

Dusty

P.s. And when 'er indoors is out, if course.

An old golf trolly or 3 wheel pushchair make them easy to move about, but need to keep weight down as these tend to be lightweight constructions

Hi guys,

I sort of asked this before, in a jokey sort of a way, but no-one responded.
( I did wonder if it were too stupid a question for an answer. But I can ask a daft question a bit easier, now the Beastie Boys are in detention.)

Is there any reason why it's not advisable to melt wax off old frames by putting it in the bottom oven of an Aga? In a big tray, when there's nothing else going in for a while, obviously.

Dusty

P.s. And when 'er indoors is out, if course.

Dusty, please explain "Aga"
Aga Khan, you must mean??

Hi Dusty,
Our bottom oven is close to 100 degrees C. Beeswax discolours above 85C.
Probably wise to check out temp beforehand or leave the door open a crack

Hope you live to tell us what happened.
Methinks she might notice the smell.

Beeswax melts at 64.5 degrees C.

Back