• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Solar Wax Extractor Wanted

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WBC Girl

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Does anyone have, or know for sale a reasonable or second hand solar wax extractor?

I am based in Somerset, but can travel any reasonable distrance to collect.

Many thanks

If you need one urgently make your own.

Get one of those plastic storage containers sold in the super stores and some garden centres with a lid big enough to fit an old ice cream tub inside.

concave some wire mesh into the ice cream tub before you wrap it over the edge, part fill the ice cream container with 1cm of water and lay a normal sheet of kitchen towel in the howl on the mesh and place your wax on top. Put the lid on the larger container and wait.

As the wax melts it will seep through the kitchen towel and into the water below and will be nicely filtered.

Picture is when I made a 10-12oz block for my associations honey show last year and I won 1st prize using the above method first before remelting it again into the pyrex bowl to make the wax cake.

hs05.jpg

b%20078.jpg

Simples !
:coolgleamA:

Mike

Many thanks for your advice; what a brillient idea, I will definately be giving it a go.

Kind regards

Karen

I have just made one using a timber shipping box. I was working for a company who received components in from around the world, and chucked away these boxes afterwards, so it was just a matter of waiting until a small one came in and grabbing it. If you can get your hands on one, they are very useful. It even came pre insulated and is made from 1" timber, so should last a good few years!

I have the glazed panel for the top, I just need to work out the metalwork, or possibly use a silicone baking sheet to run down into a tub. I was going to filter by putting the wax into a pair of tights.

Latest posts

Back