Solar Farm a threat or not ??

Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

Mand & Dave 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Hi All. I am looking for some insight into whether a large proposed solar farm of 250,000 solar panels , 160 container size and an unknown number of generators will damage/harm my bee's or any other wildlife in the area. We live 1 mile from the proposed Solar farm and its a SSSI area, but they are still going ahead with their proposals. I am wondering if EMF's or anything other threats from this site might cause issues.
Thank you in advance for any feedback

jenkinsbrynmair 

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
Depends how they manage it, got quite a few solar farms around here now (makes a change from coal tips anyway) and it's no more harmful than the houses sprouting up everywhere (at least there's grass growing under and between the panels not patio slabs and decking :)) as long as the grass doesn't get over mown , or sprayed with Azural (the new name for roundup) unlike some solar farms I've heard of then it's not an issue. Maybe work with the landowners to ensure clover rich or wildflower meadow planting takes place?
I'd rather leave the false flag of EMF's etc to the conspiracy theorists and anti vaxers 😁

Last edited:

oliver90owner 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
From the tone of the poster/posting it would appear (to me) that thhis is a NIMBY, looking for any excuses to campaign against said solar farm. I don’t see any problem and I very much doubt it is actually covers any part a site of special scientific interest (SSSI), nor is a particular threat to bees.

I am wondering how many other forums have been targeted, for help and assistance, in campaigning against this proposal.

Apiarisnt 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Sounds quite positive to me. To be allowed on or near an SSSI it must have had to pass some pretty high hurdles. Jenkinsbrymair's idea of engaging with the landowners / developers sounds like an excellent suggestion. They would get extra brownie points if they can demonstrate assistance to pollinators. From a safety perspective you might like to ask whether there has been any input from the local firebrigade and other emergency services in relation to the safety aspects of any containers, which are likely to contain lithium ion batteries ( Cause of APS battery explosion that injured 9 first responders detailed in new report)

The EMF will only be a concern to the bees if the solar farm is on a ley line...

ericbeaumont 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Hi All. I am looking for some insight into whether a large proposed solar farm of 250,000 solar panels , 160 container size and an unknown number of generators will damage/harm my bee's or any other wildlife in the area. We live 1 mile from the proposed Solar farm and its a SSSI area, but they are still going ahead with their proposals. I am wondering if EMF's or anything other threats from this site might cause issues.
I'll let you know next season: we're about to put bees on a SFarm.

Mand & Dave 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
From the tone of the poster/posting it would appear (to me) that thhis is a NIMBY, looking for any excuses to campaign against said solar farm. I don’t see any problem and I very much doubt it is actually covers any part a site of special scientific interest (SSSI), nor is a particular threat to bees.

I am wondering how many other forums have been targeted, for help and assistance, in campaigning against this proposal.
Oliver . Your assumption have come up as incorrect im afraid. It IS a SSSI and it IS a genuine question, and if you think 250,000 panels 160 container size battery storage and loads of generators are a natural phenomenon and that bee's /birds and all other wild life could negotiate their way around such an electical field, you are very much a dreamer.
My quation is for the good of our 15 hives Full of bees, and not to feed your inate nature of discrediting any and everyone that is in your sites.
How about some compassionate and thoughtful answer which may help me understand whether the bee's are going to be safe here, and if you have no info, then admit That

Peter Welch 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Hi, I have the same concerns. I have 15 hives in a belt of trees between two fields that have had a planning application submitted for a solar farm of 250-acres. The panels will be 7ft high on both fields with my bees situated right in the middle. Never gave it a thought about EMFs though. My immediate concern is that I’ll lose access so will have to find another apiary site. The silver lining is that security on the solar farm will be second to none and there is also a condition that wild flower seed is planted over the whole area. I have other hives one field or 1/2 a mile away from another solar farm and no adverse problems noted regarding EMFs.

Pembroke 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
commercial
Number of Hives
If it's just a proposal then they're kite flying to see what opposition there is and how viable it might be.

To see if it's actually going ahead would require a planning application. Once the application is made the only objections that have any hope of success are procedural. So if the SSSI is being encroached on, or if the local development plan (should be on the local council website) has any sort of designation for the type of land use allowed. Or if there are tree preservation orders on any of the existing trees. You also have to look out for the alleged use of the "Little brown envelope" technique by the builders.

Just out of interest, apart from the SSSI what is the land used for now?

oliver90owner 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Don’t be exaggerating too much, shall we? There may be some lithium batteries installed to lengthen the supply periods, but loads of generators - unless you are referring to the panels - is a load of codswallop.

Your description as a site of special scientific interest area is not entirely a very scientific description. One or the other, please!

What is a ‘natural phenomenon’ in these days of intense agriculture, btw? Roads and urbanisation are others, too.
Bees happily thrive in cities, so no problems there - except it being not a natural phenomenon!
If these solar farms were such a threat, I’m sure it would have been flagged up a long time before one arrived in your back yard.

frankenstine 

New Bee
Reaction score
EMF is a bit off a buzz phraze now, but really unless crazy amounts of power are involved emf and its effects are very very very short range most of it would come off the transformers but its not like theres a shortage of them allready installed not that far from every house.

containers ect are more likely to be diesel backup gensets, as the grid accsepts more and more renewable energy that isnt garanteed more auxillary genorating capacity needs to go in, or the lights go out

JohnRB 

Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I have kept 2-4 hives in the corner of a solar farm for 3 years and they are actually doing better than my hives in an organic orchard. I'm surprised too! I've found my solar farm operators very helpful. They are growing wild flowers to increase biodiversity and keep in good contact with me to coordinate the very occasional grass cutting. I'm not naive - their webpage is full of stuff about how they are helping the local environment etc etc. But the bees are fine

derekm 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Since the Solar power is DC generation there is no EMF radiated power in the fields between the panels or from the panels. The AC Field inverter stations will be in earthed metal boxes - so no EMF radiation. Field inverters are connected to the central station will be in earthed metal armored cables - no EMF radiation. Transformers will be in earthed metal boxes - no EMF radiation. Generators have earthed metal boxes - no EMF radiation. Battery banks are DC - no EMF radiation The only minor source will be any HT overhead grid lines coming on to the sites.

This is based on the knowledge I gained in Physics Degree, a MSc in microelectronics and 40 years in Electronics based industries.

damaging EMF on solar farms is a complete Red herring.

On the other hand these fields will never see neonics or pyrethroids ever again. They will never see artificial fertilizer ever again. They will never be paved over. The ground structure will never be destroyed by repeated ploughing. The insect life above and below ground will thrive.

I would be worrying that they don't over mow or use herbicide or dont remove mowings

EDIT: it just about possible if the inverters are very badly designed/installed for the inverter RF to be imposed on the DC side so that it radiates significantly ... not likely. How not likely see how much radio inteference is reported from house roof top solar panels. I have some sensitive to RF circuits which fail to pickup my roof top solar panels. The reduction of any leakage is minimised by the routing of DC cables together and along earthed frames and cable trays, All which is not only standard practice it is the easiest and lowest cost method in a large installation.

EDIT as a double check I have just listened to AM radio within 3 metres of the solar panels. No decernable interference, I doubt honey bees are affected by radio luxembourg. From my observation above any RF coming from solar panels and inverters is orders of magnitude well below that.

Last edited:

Pembroke 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
commercial
Number of Hives
I have kept 2-4 hives in the corner of a solar farm for 3 years and they are actually doing better than my hives in an organic orchard. I'm surprised too! I've found my solar farm operators very helpful. They are growing wild flowers to increase biodiversity and keep in good contact with me to coordinate the very occasional grass cutting. I'm not naïve - their webpage is full of stuff about how they are helping the local environment etc etc. But the bees are fine
The one thing that puzzles me is flowers need light and water to survive. So are the wild flowers planted below the panels or just around them? I don't know much about these farms, do the panels follow the sun (like the solar furnace in Spain) or are they fixed? I guess if they're fixed that answers my own question as the sun won't be direct on them all day and rain can get under them.

Swarm 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
more than 20, less than 100.
What you end up with will depend on your local authorities. Some will stipulate sensitive planting, while others are quite happy with no planting at all.
I've heard of some that are supposedly planted but I've yet to actually see one.

Anduril 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
20+
I moved an apiary back in February a quarter of a mile to just outside the fence of a solar farm. The bees are doing better here than their old site.

Latest posts