Soft set - will this work?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wingy

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
This season with the bad weather late into spring my bees didn’t make much use of the OSR crop as they didn’t get on to it properly. However from my summer crop they made up for lost time & I have about 60lb left over which has now crystallised, if I leave this in a warm place it will become runny again.
However could I turn this into soft set by adding my seed & mixing?
Would it hold as soft set or just turn back to runny if it warmed up?

This season with the bad weather late into spring my bees didn’t make much use of the OSR crop as they didn’t get on to it properly. However from my summer crop they made up for lost time & I have about 60lb left over which has now crystallised, if I leave this in a warm place it will become runny again.
Strange stuff to add to honey but I suppose it might sell well in Soho 🤔

I've made some this season ended up using more seed as 10% wasn't enough after checking the water content which was 17% 18. 6% and hovering just under 19% on the third bucket.
Maybe trying to seed the lot in one go wasn't a good idea?
I should of maybe done half a bucket to start with and then done the rest?
Maybe the water level was to high?
Interesting though Ive made some heather blend with three buckets of summer honey at 18.8 % water and its turned out like softset Ratio 9:1 lb

Alternative approach.
Look in your local community for customers who prefer crystallized honey, you can even drop a penikes per ounce. Without additional expenses you will have diversified your portfolio.

Back