Soft set dandelion honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
24 + a few nucs....this has to stop!
Depending on the spring crop I may try making soft set honey for the first time (dandelion being the main source here).
It naturally sets quickly with very fine crystals so anticipate the process to be slightly easier.
The question is do I still need to leave it set completely and re-heat before starting the process or can it be done almost from extraction?

I soft set mine from extraction but I do warm it to make sure there are no crystals. For me the natural set is too hard so I do seed it.

I soft set mine from extraction but I do warm it to make sure there are no crystals. For me the natural set is too hard so I do seed it.
Thanks Dani, I was wondering if there was much difference between naturally set and soft set, I guess there is then.
When you say warm it, you do it straight after extraction or only if you have left it for a few days before starting?

Warmed overnight straight from extraction then skimmed then seeded. The first time I did it I extracted then let it settle for two days before seeding. It set too hard so there must have been crystals in there.

Back