Soft set/ creamed honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 3509

House Bee
Reaction score
Can you still use the term “creamed honey” or do you have to call it “soft set honey” as someone suggested to me that there was an EU directive to that effect. If that is the case can someone tell me where I can find this directive on line.

Can you still use the term “creamed honey” or do you have to call it “soft set honey” as someone suggested to me that there was an EU directive to that effect. If that is the case can someone tell me where I can find this directive on line.

They are boath standars names.

It means fine crystals. I wonder why directive is needed to that? Own standard to hard honey, coarse honey, runny honey... ?

Last edited:

I don't think it's actually an EU directive, but rather a TS requirement - contrary to what some believe, we have always been allowed to make our own rules in this country,

Better to check with your local Trading Standards to see what they would prefer, but, there is plenty of honey being sold as creamed nationally. If you trawl through the forum the answer is it does not contain cream, so call it soft set. But as dictionaries will say it is to make into a smooth thick liquid. As JBM no EU directive. Also have a look at Thornes L17 label!

I don't think it's actually an EU directive, but rather a TS requirement - contrary to what some believe, we have always been allowed to make our own rules in this country,

Are you aware of the irony of your statement?

I cant find anything in the The Honey Regulations 2015 or the Council Directive 2001/110/EC which they are based upon.

Last edited:
Val

I'd recommend that you have a careful look at the Honey (England) Regulations 2015. There is a list of permitted names that you can call honey. "Creamed Honey" is not one of them. Mind you, soft set honey is not on the list either.

I can see that "creamed honey" could be misleading for the uninitiated, as it does not contain cream!

CVB

Val

I'd recommend that you have a careful look at the Honey (England) Regulations 2015. There is a list of permitted names that you can call honey. "Creamed Honey" is not one of them. Mind you, soft set honey is not on the list either.

I can see that "creamed honey" could be misleading for the uninitiated, as it does not contain cream!

CVB

Soft set honey is a refined process of seeding honey with fine crystals and the cooling slowly down to 11 degrees and raising temperature slowly to 14 degrees to form a superb fine spreadable honey...

Creamed honey is any old honey that you would not wish to sell as runny honey... usually OSR or Ivy honey... that tends to set rock hard... beaten to death in a mixer that adds air like Thatchers Ice Cream ......

World of difference in my opinion.... others will take great pleasure in disagreeing!

Chons da

Soft set honey is a refined process of seeding honey with fine crystals and the cooling slowly down to 11 degrees and raising temperature slowly to 14 degrees to form a superb fine spreadable honey...

Creamed honey is any old honey that you would not wish to sell as runny honey... usually OSR or Ivy honey... that tends to set rock hard... beaten to death in a mixer that adds air like Thatchers Ice Cream ......

World of difference in my opinion.... others will take great pleasure in disagreeing!

Chons da

It seems, that people use those words as they like. Some use them as synonyms and some use instead of something else. The result in boath is fine crystal honey.

Last edited:

It seems, that people use those words as they like. Some use them as synonyms and some use instead of something else. The result in boath is fine crystal honey.

Totally disagree.

Soft set is just that a honey carefully crafted by a skilled honey expert to produce a fine set spreadable honey.... delicious.

Creamed honey... solid lardy OSR or ivy honey that has been beaten into a lumpy pulp in a mechanical honey creamer... you can buy them from Abelo/ Lyson and proveyors of that ilk!

Totally disagree.

Soft set is just that a honey carefully crafted by a skilled honey expert to produce a fine set spreadable honey.... delicious.

Creamed honey... solid lardy OSR or ivy honey that has been beaten into a lumpy pulp in a mechanical honey creamer... you can buy them from Abelo/ Lyson and proveyors of that ilk!

Ok....

My labels say 'Soft Set' Honey, a kind friend of mine has just 70lb of it for me, in his Abelo/Lyson post as f*** machine. It's all jarred and just going through its 'Setting' process, looks bloody lovely. Hope it sells!

Chons da

Interesting, I warm and liquefy my hard set OSR type honey, seed it, then as it sets slowly, I get a mixing paddle in it and gently mix it to produce a very soft 'creamy' texture..

The definition of creaming - blending ingredients together to obtain a creamy texture.

I get that it's still soft set but to some the idea of something creamy is far more attractive than saying its set, whether or not that it's 'soft set' :)

Latest posts

Back