Soda / bicarb

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeaBees

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,
Is there a reason sodium bicarbonate is the recommended cleaning agent for tools etc?
Not wanting to blindly do things because it’s the way its always been done, I’m trying to understand why not just fairy liquid or some more modern detergent? I imagine soda/bicarb was all that was available back in the day.

Thanks

Propolis is tenacious and will not wash off with washing-up liquid, but the alkaline nature of sodium carbonate makes it very effective.
Isopropyl alcohol (IPA) will also dissolve away propolis but is much more expensive and volatile.
I found petrol won't work on propolis.

Propolis is tenacious and will not wash off with washing-up liquid, but the alkaline nature of sodium carbonate makes it very effective.
Isopropyl alcohol (IPA) will also dissolve away propolis but is much more expensive and volatile.
I found petrol won't work on propolis.

Thanks @Jules59 . A rational reason. And yes, I did mean washing soda.

Washing soda simply has the ability to break down propolis, I add 2 or 3 chlorine tablets as well with my washing soda.

My wife chucked out a load of Ariel washing powder, and rather than waste it I nabbed it for the apiary. Marvellous at removing wax and propolis. With a bit of bleach it is all I use . Much more efficient than washing soda.

My wife chucked out a load of Ariel washing powder,
When I was on the boats SWMBO used to prefer OMO and usually kept it handy on the windowsill, but when I was home on days off she used to put it in the cupboard under the sink for some reason :unsure:

My wife chucked out a load of Ariel washing powder, and rather than waste it I nabbed it for the apiary. Marvellous at removing wax and propolis. With a bit of bleach it is all I use . Much more efficient than washing soda.
That will be the washing soda in it then !

Not wanting to blindly do things because it’s the way its always been done, I’m trying to understand why not just fairy liquid or some more modern detergent?
Make up a bucket of each and you'll soon find out why most beekeepers use washing soda instead of plain fairy 😀

When I was on the boats SWMBO used to prefer OMO and usually kept it handy on the windowsill, but when I was home on days off she used to put it in the cupboard under the sink for some reason :unsure:
Was wondering if you ever got to the bottom of the reason for this behavior, and apologies for the pun!!!

Washing soda simply has the ability to break down propolis, I add 2 or 3 chlorine tablets as well with my washing soda.
Since this thread has already corrected one chemical description it's worth pointing out Chlorine is a gas under normal temperatures and pressures. 😎

Caustic Soda is vicious stuff. We used in in water based drilling mud and by crikey if you had a cut you knew about it. One guy wanted to take off the aluminium oxide on his hard hat so left it overnight to soak. In the morning on pulling up the welding rod supporting the hat out of the solution, there was only the rim left. It's not stuff to mess with tit can and does fight back.

PH

Back