So fast

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggles

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
loads
I put a large feeder one of my hives Saturday mid day. Yesterday evening I checked to see how they were getting on and was very surprised to find it empty. I filled it from 2 x 30lbs buckets of 2:1 mix (2 sugar 1 water). The super below is now nearly full. I half filled it today for them, bet thats gone tomorrow.

Just don't believe how fast they can empty it. Hard workers or what.

Pete.

I think there is a fair chance that you could lose your bet.

Your '30lb' buckets are presumably 10l

That would mean 30l of 2:1 which equates to about 26 1/2kg sugar, which theoretically equates to 33kg of honey. They may be full up before taking it all.

BTW, not saying you will lose your bet but.....Just don't stake to much at too good odds!

RAB

One of my colonies took no 2:1 last year, I was very worried as they were very light on stores going into the winter; fortunately we had a hard winter and they survived. This year that particular colony has taken loads of 2:1, the frames are near to bursting.
Just a thought, are the bees in that particular colony long term weather forcasters. Perhaps we are in for a mild winter?

Feeding during treatment

I'm now in last week of ApiLifeVar treament. This weekend did a check through the frames, added the new biscuits and put feeders with 3l of syrup on the crownboards. Nothing much seems to have been taken yet and very little bee activity up the access spouts.

There are ALV biscuits close to the crownboard hole - do people think the concentrated thymol etc. vapours in the area may be putting off the bees????

My ladies hate thymol. I scarpe the remains of any apiguard they haven't taken down onto the tops of the frames. The ladies walk around the little heap never over it.
I did read somewhere that they can be cross when the thymol is on but I haven't had that problem.

I think there is a fair chance that you could lose your bet.

Your '30lb' buckets are presumably 10l

That would mean 30l of 2:1 which equates to about 26 1/2kg sugar, which theoretically equates to 33kg of honey. They may be full up before taking it all.

BTW, not saying you will lose your bet but.....Just don't stake to much at too good odds!

RAB

Hi
30lb bucket = 13.6 kg and if 1/3 of it is water = 9kg sugar. Guess what? the 15lb I put on yesterday has gone this morning.

Pete

Can't keep up with your mixed up units, but not sure now whether you added 10 litres (half-filled the feeder) or half a bucket (only 5 litres) yesterday. I was sure, reading your post, that it said you added 10 litres.

That is a lot of sugar, so assuming there was some feed already in the hive they will be doing OK for the winter. Anything over 20kg should be enough, the rest is a bonus for them.

RAB

bees avoiding feeder

Have hopefully answered own question. according to the "bible" (TH) bees may not notice syrup for days unless some is trickled down into the hive!

FWIW and just to reinforce the heads up, I fed empty hives after the heather, by which I mean langstroth hives were stripped to one pollen comb, and fed up with syrup, and 4 gallons could go over night.

They can move it.

PH

Can't keep up with your mixed up units, but not sure now whether you added 10 litres (half-filled the feeder) or half a bucket (only 5 litres) yesterday. I was sure, reading your post, that it said you added 10 litres.

That is a lot of sugar, so assuming there was some feed already in the hive they will be doing OK for the winter. Anything over 20kg should be enough, the rest is a bonus for them.

RAB

Sorry when I said I half filled them I meant the 30lb bucket.

The noise from this hive is great I can hear them buzz from a distance.

Pete

Latest posts

Back