So Amazing

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the beehive lodge

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
As rain stopped play i didn't do my 10 day inspection today as its not stopped at all.
the table my hive sits on, was one of the girls on her back at deaths door soaking wet and getting cold, so i scouped her up so i could see her much closer via my magifine glass. In the warm house she looked very sorry for herself not moving much. so i thought i would get some practise in and mark her with tipex not a lot just enough,
As she dried off she perked up.cleaning herself and pulling tongues at me through my magifine glass just to see how long her tongue was and to see up close the hair on her legs,body,antenna was just the reason i started up keeping these little creatures. (Mother nature at her best)
Anyway she perk up and was ready to fly ( i'd put a net over her the type you buy from the pound shop to cover your food to keep the flies away in the summer)
she flew and was back in the game so i put her back infront of the entrance and she flew away i hope to see her again as the white spot had dried so finger crossed
She would have been a gonna though if i'd of left her:sifone:

Last edited:
That's amazing :D like she was under sedation. Must have been a good feeling to see her fly off again, missioned up. She will probably tell the others how well you treated her, so don't expect many stings from now on lol

Good idea to have a painting practice. Glad it went well. Sound like they are doing well up there, and good to hear they didn't bugger off when the carnival came to town lol

Cold and wet- not good. You should have offered a drop of honey - then looked closely:drool5:

That's amazing :D like she was under sedation. Must have been a good feeling to see her fly off again, missioned up. She will probably tell the others how well you treated her, so don't expect many stings from now on lol

Good idea to have a painting practice. Glad it went well. Sound like they are doing well up there, and good to hear they didn't bugger off when the carnival came to town lol

Practice marking drones, they are large,stingless, unable to bite ,in fact are totally harmless and perfect candidates to practice on.

John Wilkinson

I would imagine so, In my lifetime of keeping bees I've never mistaken a balsam dusted worker for a Queen :). The dusting is light and spread over the head/abdomen as well !. As it wears off, the last bit to go is the thorax but by then it's so faded it looks nowt like a properly marked Queen .

John Wilkinson

Practice marking drones, they are large,stingless, unable to bite ,in fact are totally harmless and perfect candidates to practice on.

John Wilkinson

What? Bite? Oh please :( Don't say they bite too. Glad I've been told now, now that I'm hooked or that little bit of news would have sent me over the edge.

I find balsam looks totally different to paint, you can see it is dusty, also it is on a worker....big difference even to my inexperienced eye.

drones, they are large, stingless, unable to bite ,in fact are totally harmless

I can only assume that the description is valid across species boundaries and is a fact known by females in all colonies - explains why my wife repeatedly says 'no' when I request a Sky Sports subscription!

hee heeeee, us females are always the most deadly. Lions and lionesses come to mind, as do black widow spiders :D Bee warned lol

Superficially ,I do all the strutting , in reality she gets all her own way (sometimes when I thought I was ahead of the game):hat:

John Wilkison
(Can't Bite)

hee heeeee, us females are always the most deadly. Lions and lionesses come to mind, as do black widow spiders :D Bee warned lol
I bet you also have a good giggle because the poor drones get booted out.. standing there watching them walk away from the hive and you saying "bye bye boys"

I bet you also have a good giggle because the poor drones get booted out.. standing there watching them walk away from the hive and you saying "bye bye boys"

Lol. Actually, I feel a bit bad about that. Might let them come home with me and feed them sugar. I am the only female in the house anyway, a few hundred more males wouldn't make much difference lol...they can have the back room. This way lads, who's for a cup of sugar solution :D

kazmcc,

This way lads, who's for a cup of sugar solution

Just remember they can't feed themselves. They have relied, all their lives, on females to 'spoon' feed them. You would be kept very busy!!!

Regards, RAB

Poor dears, imagine them in a little queue waiting for their tea. I'm that daft, I'd do it too if I could, and they would lol. I will have to get herdened if I am to become an effective beek lol

now ive seen her i can see how long she is away from the hive and what she is bringing in as i have mark her she stands out and as i can record on dvr i can do my own studying of one worker bee as she goes on her journey :party:

now ive seen her i can see how long she is away from the hive and what she is bringing in as i have mark her she stands out and as i can record on dvr i can do my own studying of one worker bee as she goes on her journey :party:
Did you put a tracker beacon on too?

Latest posts

Back