Snow & sun

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mandeville

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Hi - here's another naive newbee question :eek:

I understand the problem of bees being confused by UV being reflected from snow and not knowing which way is up.

And I have seen that it is recommended to shade the hive entrance. Is this to stop the bees seeing the sunlight and being encouraged to venture out? Or to stop them seeing the snow and thinking that it's sunlight?

Is it a good idea to clear the snow from around the front of the hive? So that if it is sunny they can come out more safely. (That's assuming that clearing the snow is a practical proposition.) Or is the best policy to discourage them from emerging at all while there's snow around?

Oh dear, this has turned out to be several questions :eek:

Mandy :)

Or is the best policy to discourage them from emerging at all while there's snow around?

Actually, from my experience, it depends whether the snow is frozen or not.If it is frozen, the danger for the bees is much less than if it is not.

They will be happy snowed in whether there are OMF floors or not.

What are mountaineers trained to do in adverse weather... dig a snow hole. ;)

Snow is porous. Breathable.

PH

If it is frozen, the danger for the bees is much less than if it is not.

If it's turned to ice isn't there a greater chance that they'd slip over ?

:Angel_anim:

Isn't it also true that inside a snow hole/cave, the temperature never goes below zero?

Not sure about that. I do know that ice never gets a chance to melt inside a gin and tonic (if it's been given to me).

They have run out of de-icer for the wings.

Do they do bee friendly de-icer?

And rubbing their little bodies with Deeo-Heat to keep the muscles warm. :)

i bet HRP spends winter weekends meticulously putting little tube "sweaters" onto all his precious varroa-free bees.

HRP - where's the video clip?

Back