Snow bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That should read ************************/articles/spring_management.php

put britishbees.org where the** are

Put a sloping board over the entrance is the best tip. It discourages the bees flying when attracted outside by sun shining on snow.

In Finland I have come across hives kept all winter under a metre of snow. The hives were on pallets and they got enough air through the varroa floors. Probably not advisable in our soggy winters but if the hives are suddenly covered in snow there is no need to panic providing there is a gap underneath them. The bees won't suffocate and can get moisture from condensation to dilute and consume their stores while confined.

Just shovel some snow over the entrance so they cannot fly other wise you will find hundreds if not thousands dying in the snow.

The light is reflected and they get confused and land.... and chill.... and DIE.

They will not suffocate.

PH

Found the article eventually but stopped reading when it became another promotion of native bees. The bees in Finland I know are mostly imports from Italy and far removed from "native" bees yet they do extremely well in the severe cold of Finish winters. It is not easy to understand why this should be other than to draw the conclusion we don't know enough about this subject and that there is an awful lot of wishful thinking about.

Finland has dry winters Rooftops like the States and Canada.

The UK has a wet maritime climate which makes a considerable difference.

PH

I think I'll try that - I've 2 hives staying put, 1 with a dozen or so dead in front of entrance and 1 with bees seemingly venturing out, flying around and returning unscathed. I'm in gateshead (just - border with Durham and Northumberland) and have just had the first sledging of the year :)
wonder if this is a characteristic to breed to....?

Should entrances be kept clear to allow air flow if there is no OMF?

Some are really in panic. If bees do no stay inside you cannot help them.
Maritime climate explains nothing. Poly if you look the map, we have sea here too and it open up to New Year.

When Rooftops visited in Nerko Paradise Honey, it is only few kilometres to open sea. Porvoo town is an old harbour place.

I have hives out in snow and I have nothing to them. No need.
I have 10 miles to sea.

When i have 20 hives out thre 2-4 hives have tendency " to send bees to death" all the time. I think that it is a sign of nosema and those bees have come out to die. Others are perfectly silent and nothing comes out.

If the hive has brood inside, it is restless and they need water and bees fly out.

But it is better to stay out of hives because you cannot do else and you disturb them and make things worse.

I live in Capital city 100 miles away and I am not looking what they do during 4 snow months.
Even if the temp is -10C I see bees on snow but it means nothing. There are 10-20 birds eating them all the time. Cats and hawks eate birds and they number goes ower during winter.

Last edited:
When i have 20 hives out thre 2-4 hives have tendency " to send bees to death" all the time. I think that it is a sign of nosema and those bees have come out to die. Others are perfectly silent and nothing comes out.

Finman

That makes good sense to me and is exactly my experience too.

Cazza

Latest posts

Back