Snellgrove board?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kronkie

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,
I have just started bee keeping and my biggest worry is swarming and have been reading of this method of prevention.
Has anyone got experiance of this method and is it effective?

Thanks in advance.

kronkie.

snelgrove board

sorry I can't help. I've had the snelgrove method explained to me three times and it still does my head in.:confused:

Some swear by it.

It is a very fussy system though and personally I find it far easier just to find the queen and do an A/S.

PH

Having bought one of the little Snellgrove books and read it through it can be a bit confusing and perhaps not for the beginner unless with a mentor at hand.

It will work and was developed for people with little room to move hives around to do standard AS's and if this is the case then give it a go but if you have plenty of room you will be best advised to go with a standard AS's at first simpler and less lifting.

As I said, I am very new to beekeeping, What is AS????

Thanks Alex, I learn something new every day about beekeeping.

It's hard to beat the standard artificial swarm as a good method of swarm control, I have used a snelgrove board several and I seems to work most of the time if done correctly but I have also lost a couple swarms even though I followed the method precisely and also there is a lot to take off when manipulating the hive below, clever system but I still prefer to do an AS, I mark all my queens and this makes the task a lot, lot easier when the time comes.

Have Fun, Enzo.

We're taught a much simplified version of the Snelgrove system in our association. Far less fannying around with opening and closing doors but it generally seems to work pretty well. I do think that having a snelgrove board kicking around is pretty handy, you can use it for all sorts of things such as a makeshift travel screen.

I'll see if I can dig up our modified Snelgrove system and post it up to be pulled to pieces :)

Kronkie,
Another option might be the Horsley board, only 1 door to play with!! :)

Latest posts

Back