Snelgrove method

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thorn

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
It varies.
I've been looking at the Barnsley Beekeepers explanation of the snelgrove method of swarm control. It doesn't seem to provide for stores for the upper brood box, save for those in that box.
Should not a super containing stores be put on the top of the stack, as well as one above the new brood box?

Foragers are returning to the bottom box and have the original supers above. You keep bleeding foragers down.

You just keep an eye on the store levels. Move some up if required.
I have a a queen waiting to get mated in one of mine so no entrance changes....they have filled a super...

Foragers are returning to the bottom box and have the original supers above. You keep bleeding foragers down.

As you indicate, no foragers are returning to the upper brood box. Therefore I would suggest that, unless that box contains an appreciable amount of stores, a super containing some stores should be put above the upper brood box, or the new hatchlings will face starvation. The failure to advise that this should be done is the weakness of the otherwise clear Barnsley Beekeepers' explanation.

You just keep an eye on the store levels. Move some up if required.
I have a a queen waiting to get mated in one of mine so no entrance changes....they have filled a super...

I suspect my top box have failed in raising a mated queen (QC long hatched, no brood, feisty bees!) They've backfilled a lot of the box this week as well - gave them a super in case they need to move stuff up, but suspect it'll be a shakeout...

I suspect my top box have failed in raising a mated queen (QC long hatched, no brood, feisty bees!) They've backfilled a lot of the box this week as well - gave them a super in case they need to move stuff up, but suspect it'll be a shakeout...

I've got lots of empty polished cells....she just needs a bit more time time....or the fail,safe method of getting a new queen to lay.....add a frame of eggs.... :)

Latest posts

Back