smoker

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark s

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
16 + 3nuc's
hi everyone
tested my new smoker out tonite and was wondering wot i was doing wrong,i rolled up some cardboard,lite it and popped it in the smoker and with out doing anypuffing smoke was billowing out all over the shop.
i left it on a table outside and it looked like a bonfire smoke everywhere,so i reduce the cardboard drasticly but it still poured out even when left alone on the table,im assuming ive gone wrong somewhere cant be good that much smoke billowing around the hive.
can anyone tell me wot ive done wrong :(:(

wish mine did that!!!

my smoker causes me more hassle.....grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Jez

Have you tried manipulation without the use of smoke?

My ladies are so well behaved, I don't bother with the smoker - it's in the spare super, "just in case", but as I don't smoke, I'd have to go 100yds to the van to get a lighter!

John

what you have just had is lucky bugger smoker syndrome fortunutly i have cured you of your illness and you will never be able to have a smoker alite for more than 3 minutes from now on, i am soooooo good at this cure i have practiced it for ages . we normal beekeepers has terible trouble keeping the flippin things going, be greatfull

i use dry rotten wood. good blow with the gas torch first and it smokes long after i have finished with my hives. even though i use it rarely. no smoke no gloves - good bees i am blessed with :cheers2:

Rotten wood - yup, the best fuel there is.

The thing to remember about smokers is that you can adjust the rate of burn by leaving it upright, or tipping it on its side to slow it down. It does depend on your fuel and the wind (and individual smokers vary) but in general that is all you need to do to quieten your smoker and eke out the fuel.

G.

New smokers don't have any accumulation of tar and goo. Consequently they have open draughty joints between pot and lid, and an unobstructed firebox. This gives a lot of natural draught until condensates goo it all up. I expect that your smoker will calm down as it get more use.

JC.

Have you tried manipulation without the use of smoke?

unpractical idea.

You need smoker in many places and you cannot trust on good luck.
Mostly you have bees, that you cannot manage them without smoker.

For example you must drive bees away from surfaces when you put super on brood box. Otherwise you get a lot of crushed bees.

You probably had the cardboard burning to well when you put it in the smoker and it created its own natural draft next time lay the smoker on its side for a short time this will slow it down and reduce the smoke bit don’t forget about it as it will eventually go out

thanx all for your input,ive been playing with it some more and the size and type of fuel i used makes a difference,but it worked well with the combo i used and lasted roughly 15 mins so im happy with that:)

Latest posts

Back