Smoker Fuel

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*ZhG*StGeorge

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
Hi,

Don't want to get into an argument about whether I should or should not use a smoker but is the shedded packing that comes with your purchases from Th***es any good or does it have chemicals that badly upset our bees.

It lights and keeps going ok, just wondered.

Thanks

There have been a few threads touching on this with, as you would expect, differing opinions.

Personally I found that Thorne's shredded carboard gave off a fairly acrid smoke that infuriated my bees so I stopped using it.

Others have found the same, but conversely many swear by it.

Its quite possible that the effect may depend on the batch. I'd suggest trying it, and making your own opinion.

It's worth going over it and throwing away any thing with plastic tape or any thing else on it.

Mike.

Lights easily, burns well and gives off plenty of smoke.
But it gives me a bad head.

I find that it is easy to light, smokes really well but can be strong and gives me a headache so I figure it can't be that good for the bees.
I still use it though as a starter and supplement with anything else thats smokes. Egg cartons, leaves, pine cones, twigs. etc.

Bracken, herbs, heather, fir cones.

all natural and plenty about.

The Thorns shredded cardboard works for me just have to be careful it has no packing tape on it and no printing.
Also a bit of grass rolled and fitted into the spout of the smoker cools the smoke for the bees and seems to work for me.

I find last years' underpants a suitably repellent material.

I have also used the wooden cat-litter pellets (unused of course!) with some success, but they tend to roll out of the nozzle unless you put something else on top.

Savoyard

regarding smoker fuel i use hessian coffee sacks from a local tea/coffee merchants, i start with a sheet of newspaper and then add a roll of hessian, it stays lit, burns fairly cool with little tar and little ash as well.

I tried cardboard packing but found the smoke to be acrid and there was lots of tar, so thornes packing goes in the green bin instead.

BTW I always light the smoker but rarely use it, i tend to use a water spray if i need it and revert to the smoker if things go downhill.

Last edited:
There have been a few threads touching on this with, as you would expect, differing opinions.

Personally I found that Thorne's shredded carboard gave off a fairly acrid smoke that infuriated my bees so I stopped using it.

Others have found the same, but conversely many swear by it.

Its quite possible that the effect may depend on the batch. I'd suggest trying it, and making your own opinion.
Using corrugated cardboard is ok as long as it has not been treated with a fire retardent, So, soak cardboard in water to remove the chemical, dry out, cut to size for your smoker. To light easily, make a solution of potassium nitrate ( buy online since chemist will it say it is unavailable ). Dip the end of your card roll into liquid for 5 seconds and leave to dry. Result is that the slightest flame will cause will cause the fuel to burn and your smoker is ignited with little effort. Do remember to mark the end of the roll which has been treated or it can be unsettling, ie no smoke

I've used it and the girls didn't mind...

I've used it and they did. They hated it. Found dry grass, dried lavender stalks or any other dried grasses very good. As were dried orange peels and pistachio shells (what else are you going to do with them?).

I have found hessian effective, easy to light and the bees seem to like it.

If it hasn't rained too much, I add some of the dry rotten wood from the floor of the wood my hives are in. Seems to smoke for longer this way.

Latest posts

Back