Smokeless inspections

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BB King

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Due to the severe drought and heat in Norfolk and the subsequent fire risk I have refrained from using the smoker for several weeks, we have had several field fires locally sadly in some cases houses being destroyed. The bees have behaved as normal and apart from moving bees when reassembling boxes I haven’t missed the smoker at all. Perhaps I’ve previously been overusing it through habit.

Spray bottle of water works well.

I reckon the smoker sometimes upsets them so they're more twitchy the next time.

I stopped using a smoker for the same reasons, fire. We live right up against the northern boreal forest and fire risk is always top of mind.

I have used a spray bottle of water on and off but my bees seem to ramp up if I use smoke. They get louder and testy, just my own observations or maybe wishful thinking since during fire bans the smoker is a no go anyway.

I have not noticed any increased alarm reaction when not using smoke.

All great in good weather .
When it's coldish /wet and there is no flow or wasps /robbing etc, then having a lit smoker is often essential. = especially if they boil out when you crack open the CB.

And feeding mini nucs in winter without smoke available is in my view very risky(even well behaved bees) A spray is effective in killing bees when it is cold

It is all probably hive temperament as well. I go into my hives at any time if I need to, cloudy, windy, wet, later, earlier and even in winter when temps. are around 5C. I am not saying smoke is not beneficial, I use it sometimes, but lung issues and fire issues have left me finding other ways.

Latest posts

Back