Smoke!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

segbug

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
I have become very sensitive to using smoke on my bees. Could anyone suggest any alternative methods or ways to reduce the effects of the smoke? I currently use hemp in my smoker....is there anything else that produces smoke that would be less harmful? I dont like the idea of spraying the bees with water and have tried this before but did read something on the internet about misting them with sugar syrup that im going to try...anyone got experience or comments on this?

I also bought a mask however even this is not effective enough for me....any suggestions on a good mask would be much appreciated.

hemp does stink quite a bit, try some dry rotten wood. I always take a mist sprayer with me but only use water in it comes in handy on hot days as you can spray it through the veil (dont try this with sugar syrup though)

Is hemp cannabis?

I didn't hear that !:sifone:

I think the OP means hessian.

I agree with Veg - dry rotten wood is pretty good. Cotton waste gives off a nice smelling smooth smoke as well (I sometimes use a mixture of both)

I find hessian the best (old coffee sack).
Dry wood gives me a bad head.
Need to experiment I think.

Have you tried a heavy cloth instead.
Cover- wait a second or two- then expose a frame at a time- bees just carry on working- unless there is a problem

why don't you like the idea of spraying with water - less irritating to bees than smoke.

why don't you like the idea of spraying with water - less irritating to bees than smoke.

Because most bees don't like rain and don't like getting wet, and water makes them cold. It takes them energy to dry out after being sprayed.

Smoke might not be nice, but used carefully (frugally) I think it's the lesser of the two evils.

Because most bees don't like rain and don't like getting wet, and water makes them cold. It takes them energy to dry out after being sprayed.

Smoke might not be nice, but used carefully (frugally) I think it's the lesser of the two evils.

:iagree: they only have to sniff smoke and they are into the honey and forget about you, you don't have to bellow it out unless you squish a bee or get stung

someone on another thread suggested sugar water with a few drops of vanilla extract not the cheap essence though,this is what i use they tend to just groom themselves for a while but i use that as my girls dont like the smoke or smoker i tried shredded card with and without wood chips,hessian,and fibreboard,they just dont like smoke

please be carefull spraying sugar water about as any outside the hive this time of year can atract wasps :eek: i also find the smoke a problem but am trying to keep its use to a minimum, and make sure i am not down wind of the smoker,

I don't like using hemp in my smoker...I find the bees get the munchies and use all their stores!

Try a spray of cold Mint Tea freshly made with peppermint leaves or use lavender stems in your smoker

But i find it best to select bees that you can work with as little smoke as possible, i dont want the hassle, of fighting my way in and being followed back to the car, every inspection

Latest posts

Back