Smoke!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all your suggestions.....Yes I think selecting for a docile bee is a good idea nd i will try a different smoker fuel/water/sugarsyrup spray.......

I tried using a mask meant for people in cities to protect against smoke, emissions and pollen which is okay but doesnt block the smoke out enough.....

what is it about smoke that clears the bees??.....would a litte co2 on them do he same???dont know where i could get it.....just an idea i wouldnt want to harm the bees anymore than smoke does.....

what is it about smoke that clears the bees??.....would a litte co2 on them do he same???dont know where i could get it.....just an idea i wouldnt want to harm the bees anymore than smoke does.....

smoke makes them gorge on honey (forest fire!!) which supposedley makes them more lethargic and there is also a theory that a full honey crop makes their abdomens fuler and less able to bend to sting.

water is suposed to wet their wings which makes them less able to fly

Thanks for all your suggestions.....Yes I think selecting for a docile bee is a good idea nd i will try a different smoker fuel/water/sugarsyrup spray.......

I tried using a mask meant for people in cities to protect against smoke, emissions and pollen which is okay but doesnt block the smoke out enough.....

Co2 is packed in pressurised containers , decompression causes cooling , frozen bees don't perform very well :D
VM

Hi all

I only use sugar water with vanilla extract, just drip it onto the frames. only had two stings over the last three years

Latest posts

Back