Smoke out works

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockdoc

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just come back from a swarm call after taking a phone message from a very anxious lady. The swarm were well down in the chimney breast and could be heard behind the bedroom fireplace blank off. It was not clear just how long they had been there so I decided to try and smoke them out after taking away the air vent. After about 15 minutes puffing there was a huge pile of bees hanging on the outside of the chimney. A few minutes later there was a cry from the garden to say they had all taken flight. I rushed downstairs to see a reasonable sized swarm swirl away from the chimney and park up in a very tall Hawthorn tree next door. So one pleased beekeeper and a very pleased house owner (not sure about next door!).
In hindsight perhaps I could have put out a bait hive to try and catch them, either way I'm pleased my first smoke out was a success.

Fantastic result. Perhaps they were very new tenants with not much to pusuade them to stay, either way a great result.

Two calls for swarms in one week! This time its a builder who rear ended a bush to find his world erupt into a hail of bees! He legged it and gingerly went back later to see the swarm hanging from his cab roof! That was yesterday evening and I'm off there now so will post some pics if they are still there. Anyone else experiencing swarm call now? Any I get this time of year are almost always for Ivy bees.

Just out of interest, was there anything done to stop the bee's returning to the chimney later?

Two calls for swarms in one week! This time its a builder who rear ended a bush to find his world erupt into a hail of bees! He legged it and gingerly went back later to see the swarm hanging from his cab roof! That was yesterday evening and I'm off there now so will post some pics if they are still there. Anyone else experiencing swarm call now? Any I get this time of year are almost always for Ivy bees.

Well, I never. Where are the bees don't swarm this time of the year brigade.;)

I still have drones in all my colonies, including sealed drones laid by the Q who emerged about 2 August, so she was laying them within a few weeks of being mated.

I think they are setting up for a long mating season and thus for late swarms. I have a Q due to emerge this weekend and am very hopeful of getting her properly mated. If so, i may lend them some bees but we'll see.

Chimney was too high and of an awkward design to prevent a return. However, I checked today and they have moved on from next door too so fingers crossed they don't come back. Digger was also bee free was they too have scarpered.

Just come back from a call from the lady I helped with the smoke out. Having de-camped to a nearby tree, i assumed the swarm had moved off. But no, they are still there, and with this weather the drawn comb is very visible. I'll try and get a photo tomorrow, in the meantime I'm not sure whether to mount a rescue or even if it s worth doing, they are a long way up and the weather's crap!

they are a long way up

Suggest not then -

Discretion is the better part of valour

Is the tree in a public (and accessible) place?

If so, the council might be prevailed upon to provide an access platform/cherrypicker …

Only drones in one of my 30 colonies, and that's a dud queen one. United elsewhere.

No ITMA, its on the boundary between two private gardens. Its not clear which garden its in and the ladies neighbour is a bit of an arse (apparently). I'll check it out this weekend and try and get some pics.

Latest posts

Back