smith or old natioal?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sahtlinurk

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I can't get in my brood box/super more than 10 frames. and everybody here are having 11 frames in their boxes. They were sold to me as old nationals ( unmodified ). What are they then? smiths or nationals?

Thanks,
Lauri

Smiths are rectangular and a normal National frame will not fit one as the top bars are too long.

PH

Langstroths are also said to be 10 per box.

http://www.honeyshop.co.uk/hives.html

Alternatively, if the frames are old and if their previous keeper didn't push them up tightly then propolis and wax can build up and make them occupy more space.

best wishes

Gavin

Hi if you got these off the chap on Ebay they are home made Smiths. I bought some too and they are good enough but only fit 10 frames in. I bought two so that I can swap stuff around when it comes to splitting. You will also have to shorten the width of the frames because the supers etc are not quite wide enough.
If you did not buy them from a chap on Ebay - soz and just ignore me!! :)

well if this chap was from Alton you bought yours then we are in the same boat. Only thing he had the whole shed full of those for sale. home made or not. BB takes BS frames which you have to shorten the top bar 2 cm both ends.

Cheers,
Lauri

Last edited:
well if this chap was from Alton you bought yours then we are in the same boat. Only thing he had the whole shed full of those for sale. home made or not. BB takes BS frames which you have to shorten the top bar 2 cm both ends.

Cheers,
Lauri
Lauri, we are in the same boat, his shed is not quite so full now. I don't have a problem with what he sold us just like you say you have to shorten the top bar. It may be a problem if we ever want to move to Nationals but being a newbee I am happy with what I have got for the time being. Just need some bees and I will be fab!

I am not having a problem:) just wondering.. they are serving me well, running out of supers at the moment. got to go and get some material and nail a few together. going to make some nationals over autumn/winter time. can use old smith frames if needed.

Thanks for answers,
Lauri

Last edited:
Old National takes 11 frames. Is exacly the same size as a modified National, but different construction technique.

Stephen.

Back