• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Smith Hive Crown Board

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FenBee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
If anyone uses a Smith hive and needs a spare crown board, I bought one in error, so it's free to a good home, the crown board is new and unused. You will need to pay the postage, which I shall find out if there is interest.

hi fenbee i am currently using smith hives. can i take you up on the offer i could pick the m11 every other weekend

Hi burch, it is yours, I have sent you a PM.

Can you advise me about smith hives. I am a total begginer and have been offered 3 second hand complete hives but no frames for £100. Is this a good move or should I save up for Nationals?

Can you advise me about smith hives. I am a total begginer and have been offered 3 second hand complete hives but no frames for £100. Is this a good move or should I save up for Nationals?

topbee space, frames national size but with short lugs

my cousin has them and like them, but spares are expensive, go for them...you could always sell them to me

AND welcome G&T...

Last edited:
thanks a million! There are lots of spare bits and bobs and I only aim to have 2 hives. Just need to source some bees now!!

thanks a million! There are lots of spare bits and bobs and I only aim to have 2 hives. Just need to source some bees now!!

spares may be easier "upNorth" http://www.scottishbeekeepers.org.uk/learning/documents/number 6 smith hive.pdf ...the thicker walls give extra insualtion

your bees will come on national frames...so you will need to modify the frrame before it will fit the smith...cuting 3/4 in off each end...err i think, check on cushmans site

http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/bs_smframes.html

Last edited:
your bees will come on national frames...so you will need to modify the frrame before it will fit the smith...cuting 3/4 in off each end...err i think, check on cushmans site[/url]

The Smith is similar to National. There certainly ain't nothing wrong with Smith hives.

However, you got a problem if you buy a nuc on National frames, because you will find that you will have to cut off about 5mm from each end of the frames to get them to sit on the runners inside the box. Otherwise the top bars will be too long.

Either that, or somewhow try to replace the top bars with shorter ones.

Both 'fixes' are just not very do-able with frames that are inhabited by bees.

You need a swarm or a nuc on Smith frames. I've actaully got the latter but guess that you are way too far away.

Last edited:
The Smith is similar to National. There certainly ain't nothing wrong with Smith hives.

However, you got a problem if you buy a nuc on National frames, because you will find that you will have to cut off about 5mm from each end of the frames to get them to sit on the runners inside the box. Otherwise the top bars will be too long.

Either that, or somewhow try to replace the top bars with shorter ones.

Both 'fixes' are just not very do-able with frames that are inhabited by bees.

You need a swarm or a nuc on Smith frames. I've actaully got the latter but guess that you are way too far away.

My cousin uses bolt cutters....crunch, done...and as G&T is near scotland, you get smiths nucs quite easily from scotland..and its more than 5mm, the rebates are 12mm on a smith, on a nationals the rebates are 31mm ( 19 +12),, so it 19mm ( 3/4 inch) off each end...i know i have done it vfor my cousin..cut them for a nuc i made up from a split

Last edited:
we are only a couple of hours away and prepared to travel if you can help us out

Latest posts

Back