Smartwater as possible solution?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gandalfwhitewizard

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I am sorry to read all the losses that people have suffered but with my 'police' head on I have contacted the company "Smartwater" asking if there is a possible solution to using the product to mark the hive.

This product is a 100% way of identyfing a hive, although you cannot mark the bees of course ! might be a way of marking wood? frames, etc.

Anyway I await a reply and will post the response.

I think it might be helpful if you could explain what Smartwater is?? ;)

The website goes around the houses.
I noticed a green handprint on a window but gave up looking after a few pages.

I think it's the product they use to mark banknotes they think will be stolen.

smatwater is used a lot on motorcycles, specifically is (or certainly used to be) a standard thing that would be done on brand new Suzuki's.

from the website

SmartWater is a colourless liquid solution that is simply dabbed onto the uneven surfaces of your valuables.

It can be used to code all sorts of items such as jewellery, ornaments, electrical items and even your motor vehicle. Each bottle contains a unique chemical ‘code’ which is registered to you – conclusively proving ownership. It cannot be easily seen by the naked eye and is almost impossible to remove. The liquid glows under ultraviolet light making it easy for the Police to detect.

The Police use it in undercover operations to catch and convict criminals. Criminals know about SmartWater and fear its power to forensically link them with the scene of a crime.

So, by coding your valuables and displaying the SmartWater deterrent signs, you are sending out a powerful warning to any thieves and burglars operating in your area.

the bottle I had when I bought a bike a few years ago had a liquid with loads of little bits, like a glitter ball, each if the little bits presuambly had a unique code.

HTH

I've given them a call and they do three sizes of kit, small (150 items), medium (600) and large (1500). There is a one off charge for the kit with two years subs then a charge each year, small £161/65, midium £379/160 and large £759/345.

I think I might get some fluorescent paint and make up some stickers....

JEEEEESSS!!!
How expensive?! Flourescent paint, here I come!!!! ;)

However, you can ask for a free sample...i am still waiting a reply from them but will give them a call myself

What's the point?

If somebody nicks your hives and bees and moves them to a quiet location 50 miles away who is going to ever see them to trace them back to you. They are hardly going to be caught tip toeing away from your apiary with a bag marked swag on their backs...........Which direction do you run if something goes missing? Do the police care? Are you likely to see it again if you go to a great deal of time and expense marking things..............

Frisbee

What's the point?

If somebody nicks your hives and bees and moves them to a quiet location 50 miles away who is going to ever see them to trace them back to you. They are hardly going to be caught tip toeing away from your apiary with a bag marked swag on their backs...........Which direction do you run if something goes missing? Do the police care? Are you likely to see it again if you go to a great deal of time and expense marking things..............

Frisbee

I think the point is, at the moment hives are not marked so ownership is very difficult/imposible to prove should stolen kit be recovered.

marking your kit with hit tech stuff or low tech flouro paint is a deterent as it is now posible to identify stuff so your kit doesn't get nicked in the first place rather than relying on it to be recovered.

I have contacted them and spoken with the company and Kent Police are making use of Smartwater, they are sending a trial sample to see how it can be applied. The benefits are it is a naturally occuring susbstance and is water based it will not affect the bees but like DNA is linked to an individual so even if the frames are sold in new boxes they can be linked back to an address and lets be honest you can't make that much of a hive without the bees.
I understand that you think the police are not bothered about it but as a serving officer that is not the case theft is theft and the hardest part is proving ownership especially in this case. As I said Kent had the equipment to detect items with smartwater and its worth a try its a deterrent as its not removable unlike other methods. As for cost its on an individuals needs as far as I can make out but like all things supply and demand really doesnt help if the cost was lowered then people wouldnt be so keen to steal items??
Please don't shoot me down in flames i tried to think what other solutions are there apart from branding/marking.

it is a complete waste of time and money it will only work if the police remove themselves from the warm office and do some police work, and as someone how has had the complete loss of all his kit i know only to well how pathetic the police are for doing any thing, unless the police have the scanner with them and you can be pretty sure they are your hives the police will not interfer, it to much like hard work

This similar discussion has come up on the other forum as well, the general concensus ended up with it being a waste of time as most people would just burn the hives and resell the bees, that said i have a company coming back to me on the cost of microchip kits (certainly cheaper than smart water). In the meantime my hives and broodframes are marked in indelible marker pen with my BBKA membership number and initials. I concede they can be sanded off, but at least it acts as a deterrent. That said the orchard where i keep my hives currently has 4 bulls in residence, a barbed wire fence keeps them away from the hives but you still need to cross the field first.

David

A tracking device would definitely show if your hive had been moved. They can be set up to send a text message to your phone if the hive is moved and will then give you a live update on the route it is taken to. Obviously at the point where the hive is abandoned or the tracker found, the trail will end. If I had a large quantity of hives in a remote location, I would definitely use one.

They have really come down in price recently and the one I am currently using for work is £199. Sounds expensive, but consider the cost of replacing hives etc!

I assume that it could be put into some sort of dummy board such as a frame feeder.

We received the test kit of Smartwater, and are currently doing a trial. Will keep you all updated on how its going.

Fit each hive with four wheels, and a number plate [make up any old number].

Do NOT submit it for an MOT!

If it goes anywhere on a public road, you won't see it for helicopters, Special Patrol Groups, riot police, horses, water cannon, TV crews, and "Incident Commanders"!

John

Latest posts

Back