Smallest survival

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
We have collected another 2 swarms last week (not mine) - and they are on 2 frames just beginning to extend to a 3rd -and queens laying:cheers2:.
Lots of food going in - Do I accept the challenge to keep them as they are- or unite for safety- bearing in mind there are 6 beginners in our Assoc waiting for a colony and these swarms could be for them next April if I keep as little colony.

Just wondered-What is the smallest Nuc that anyone has brought through the winter??

I wouldn't unite them unless you have another colony that is very short of bees. By uniting you essentially lose a queen, which is also the worst that will happen if they die out over the winter, so better to keep them separate and give them a fighting chance of coming through.

I would feed them syrup, let them collect ivy polllen but syrup would be better than ivy nectar. Also keep the nucs as sheltered and warm as possible. A poly nuc would be best but you can insulate a wooden one.

Morning Heather,
What are they in,a 5 frame Nuc box/is it 12-18mm ply ?
I agree with Rooftops,insulate them and take a chance,I have often read about 2 frame nucs going through the winter in the uk.

Feeding is essential I think, - possibly a frame feeder ? but keep your eye open for wasps, there's still quite a few about and they killed one of my nucs a few days ago.

:(

You could try dividing a standard brood box , having entrances in different directions, installing swarms each side of divisions ,,then using following boards to reduce each side to match colony size . Our branch winters small colonies in this manner for the same reasons you quote:) ( we get lots of beginners of late .)

John Wilkinson

I have a nuc of a similar size, I made it up after replacing a queen in one of my hives and I wanted to keep this queen as an insurance policy.

The nuc was getting robbed badly by wasps over in the apiary so i brought it home, its only a mile or so away but I thought losing a few fliers is better than losing the whole lot, I'm feeding them syryp and they are looking ok at the moment.

I intend on moving them closer to a wooden shed I have at the bottom of my garden with the intention of having them inside, with a short length of pipe leading them to the outside via a hole drilled in the side. (for the coldest part of the winter)

when it's inside the shed I'm going to try and insulate the nuc a bit with a piece of old quilt or blanket or something like that

Sounds good Taff,

We need a Somerset 'Bee-shed' division, :)

Sounds good Taff,

We need a Somerset 'Bee-shed' division, :)

:hurray:

sounds like a good plan.

unfortunately MrsTaff has different ideas, saving a small nuc by bringing it home is one thing, having a full colony in the shed is quite another.

the shed is to the right of where I was stood taking this photo, bee's and kids dont mix too well IMO :cheers2:

slide.jpg

Thanks for those suggestions and I have a floor for a 2 way double colony so will try that.
My only worry with the shed idea- if they feel the atmosphere warm, being insulated, when they go out don't they get caught in the cold and not able to return, or am I being 'precious' about them.:svengo:

I am a little worried about mine at the moment as I would really liethem to get through the winter. I thought they would have taken some syroup by now but they just havnt touched it.

They are very busy and the queern is relaying where brood have emerged.

How are you feeding the syrup? If it is some sort of rapid feeder make sure you dribble some syrup down the inside so the bees have a trail to follow. The syrup has no smell so they don't always find it without a bit of help.

I am using a rapid feeder and drubbeling a little down but was wondering if I should switch to something else if they don't start using it. Or do they just not need it?

Sounds as if they don't need it which might be a good sign. It might also be a sign they don't have room for any more stores, probably because the queen is laying everywhere. I would leave the feeder on for a bit longer. If you have a super of drawn comb you could give them that but if not don't worry.

Latest posts

Back