small wine bottles for mead

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbh4

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Can anyone point me to a supplier of clear glass half size wine bottles (350 or 375 ml)? I have my first couple of batches in demijohns and will need to bottle them eventually. I don't expect to drink it in great quantities so half bottles would be best.

Thanks,

Paul

Wynne Jones supply 375ml bottles in packs of 51 for £17.50
But......why pay for them?
Simply collect empty J2O bottles or similar (be loads around at Xmas). Put the message out to your neighbours/friends to retain them for you. Maybe have a word with the manager of local pub (using honey as a bribe?)

Can I suggest PET

Hopefully your experience will differ, but my mead tends to restart its fermentation and I have had at least one bottle explode.

Part of the problem may be that I was not boiling the honey, so whatever fermentation suppressants the bees had added were still active after a fashion. I know Camden tablets would solve the problem, but I can taste the Sulphur dioxide.

I have settled on the small PET bottles they use for mineral water.

Swing Top Glass Beer Bottles Homebrew try searching Ebay for them
£18 or so for 12
They are the grolsh type of bottle you get replacement seals and lids for them if needed
If you get a secondary ferment they won't blow up :)

Beer bottles

Yes the beer bottles are great; if they continue to ferment then you get a wonderful sparkling mead.

Thanks everyone. Lots of helpful leads to follow up.

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using Tapatalk

To avoid fermentation starting again in the bottle you need to make sure that ou disable the yeast by adding a fermentation stabilizer (Potassium Sorbate) and a campden tab and then de-gas before bottling. Without that you will always risk the yeast finding some more sugar to work on.

The alternative to Campden tablets is pasteurisation - Vigo (the press manufacturers) suggest 75C for 25 minutes.

Half-bottles of wine are rare outside restaurants. So that's where I'd be offering to swap some honey for some recycled glass...

If using repurposed plastic bottles, and you aren't killing the fermentation (as with my Elderflower sparkler) then the thing is to use plastic bottles that were originally used for fizzy (pressurised) drinks - sparkling not still mineral water!

Lakeland do single bottles. Or try used Grolch larger bottles, the ones with the stoppers.

Lakeland do single bottles. Or try used Grolch larger bottles, the ones with the stoppers.

Grolsch swing top bottles aren't cheap and should not be confused with the frankly expensive Lakeland ones that are specifically NOT supposed to be pressurised.

If you want a source for quantities of new bottles try http://www.bottlecompanysouth.co.uk/shop.aspx?cat=39
or what about Pattesons Glass (who had that excellent special offer on jars earlier this year -- note that their prices are INC delivery) http://www.jarsandbottles-store.co.uk/index.php/glass-bottles.html

Latest posts

Back