Small tractor

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbeekeeper

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Looking for some advice and tips for my next project!

Progressing on from my Mantis 4 stroke tiller to my Howard 350, due to my increasing land acquisitions I am looking to progress onto a small tractor :hurray::hurray::hurray:

Wanting a classic type unit, but as adaptable as possible for most small holder applications i.e PTO etc.

Most recommended to me thus far is the Massey 35, but price and availability reflects this.

Any other recommendations?

There are some handy small imported models (cough...sorry) my friend up the road has I believe an Italian one, complete with tiny mower and round baler, to be honest that's all I know about it....brand new of course, but that may well be out of your price range too. If it's not then purchase this months Country Smallholder (or Smallholding....can never remember which it is) and see what adverts they have.

Frisbee

Massey T20...or TE 20........or if you keep aquiring land how about a D9 Caterpiller..:leaving:

How much land have you got Jim and what HP are you looking for ?
A Massey 35 are quite expensive but they never lose any money and you can get all the bits for them still.
If you get a MF go for a 3 cylinder as they start on the button but people seem to have a lot of trouble with 4 cylinders when it`s cold.
Old Gray Fergie`s are good fun too.
Whatever you buy make sure the diff-lock works, i always forget to check and always have to have them fixed but i`ve probably been unlucky - you don`t need it that often but you can`t do without it when you hit a soft patch :)

When i was looking for a little tractor everyone warned me against the cheap chinese imports because there are very few spares available at short notice and that the steel is not very good.

Older Fords are ok but they need some winding over and tend to smoke untill warm but are still good workhorses.

Me and my brother had a TVO Grey Fergie when we were about 10 years old. We used to take turns driving while the other walked behind and loaded the link box with horse poo. No health and safety then :)
I don`t think you can buy TVO any more but have to mix it yourself from petrol & heating oil but i may be wrong.

i have a kubota b7100 4wd with front loader and pto lift arms etc that i dont use if your interested.

S8000461.jpg

my son would not be included in the sale.

I like those little Kubotas.
That`s just the thing to lift supers off your hive.

your supers must be heavier than mine, i sneezed the other day and blew mine off:biggrinjester:.

We use a massey 35 ( called Jimmy) every day during the winter. It is used to clean out all the cows. In the summer it was used to power the haybob until last year. It has been the most reliable tractor we have ever had and has seen off all the modern tractors that we bought over the years. If you can get your finances to stretch to one, you will never be disappointed.

Many moons ago I worked on a farm that had 2 grey fergies - a TVO one and a diesel.

I'd go for the diesel if you can find one.

I don`t think you can buy TVO any more but have to mix it yourself from petrol & heating oil but i may be wrong.

We used to have one- I tink it was paraffin with a bit of petrol
(1/2 pint:gallon?) my dad used.

You will probably have already have reached a conclusion by now but for what it is worth I have found the old Ford 2/3 and 4000 tractors good little machines that do not seem to have quite the same vintage appeal(price tag) as the Fergie and most parts are still readily available?
Makes a change for me to have experience on a subject and be able to give an opinion on this site at last rather than drawing on everbody elses.

You will probably have already have reached a conclusion by now but for what it is worth I have found the old Ford 2/3 and 4000 tractors good little machines that do not seem to have quite the same vintage appeal(price tag) as the Fergie and most parts are still readily available?
Makes a change for me to have experience on a subject and be able to give an opinion on this site at last rather than drawing on everbody elses.

I think I'd second this one - in years gone by I have used a baby grey Fergie, a fordson major and a ford 4000. The Fergie was as good runner, but they are now quite collectable (judging by the prices). The Fordson Major was a ****** to start (I think the quantity of ether I inhaled over the years trying to start it may have affected my short term... umm, what was I saying?)

The Ford 4000 ran well, was small enough to handle in tight spaces and light enough to steer relatively easily. It wasn't pretty, but I guess that's why you might be able to get a cheaper one.

When I borrow a tractor I have a choice of a Fergie or a Leyland.
I prefer the Leyland,I thinks its a 154 ?

One thing I always thought missing on the Fergies was a pick-up hitch.

Not sure when these came in but they are useful.

Like when I was looking for a generator unit, the lister was a good option, but practicality brought me back to the Pramac.

On my rotovator the matnis won it first, but having just used my Howard in a fraction of the time the mantis would have taken the Old wins on that score

Area to work V machine size.

Yes an old Fergie holds the heart, but the head is swinging to a Kubuta or similar.

Latest posts

Back