Small Hive Beetle

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beebreeder

Field Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Lots
On one of the American forums I have read that small hive beetle has been found at Kona queen Hawaii, and on the phone this evening to a local beek he has heard rumours that they have been found on imported queens. To the best of my knowledge SHB lives in the wax and not on bees. Has anyone heard anything to confirm that they have been found in this country?

Although i wonder how long it will be before we do end up with something new and nastier than before, particularly when you look at the way some large scale importers conduct themselves here.

Stop thinking about the colour of your cash, and THINK about the possible consequences of your actions.

Apparently 5,500 queens were imported from Hawaii into the UK last year. This was discussed at the Exec Committee of the Devon Beekeepers yesterday and there was a strong feeling something should be done to stop these imports. Hawaii was the only place queens could be imported into the UK from the US because it didn't have SHB. Now it does they should stop and I understand the Devon Beekeepers are going to try and get this done although I suspect they will be pushing on an open door.

Norton
I know that SHB lives in combs not on bees as it is not parasitic, but I was curious to see if the rumour is just that, and I can put the source of it correct before it goes further, as another regular poster has said we are more likely to get it in rotting fruit or in the soil around imported plants

SHB should love the Beehaus........all that correx.......think they use this for SHB trapping.

They (I think) have put a seal on some edges. Still the bottom edge of the side pieces to sort out. It is on my list (but only recently) of necessary modifications. Silicone caulking along the edge will sort it. But yes. Another slight oversight by the designers?

Regards, RAB

Latest posts

Back