Small hive beetle in mainland Europe.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hivemaker.

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Apparently small hive beetle has been found in Italy.

arghhhh. Perhaps now is the time to get those corrugated traps in place

Make sure you all read the beebase info on how to deal with for when it does arrive.

Heres hoping that the importers of bees that come from Italy are doing some sort of tests to make sure it doesn't arrive to quickly in the next year or two.

if anyone wants to read about it there is a thread running on the Scottish beekeepers forum.

Only a matter of time.

+1 ...but .. SHB can be countered without chemical interference - there are nematodes that are sprayed on the soil around the hives which are proving very effective and strong colonies are very capable of repelling this nasty little pest - a bit like the wax moth ... USA has suffered a lot from SHB but when you look at some of the beekeeping practice in the US it's a wonder that honeybees survive at all. There are also a variety of beetle traps that have been reasonably successful.

I suspect that, if and when it arrives here, there will be the usual panic but hopefully beekeepers, in the light of the aftermath of the early days of varroa and the resistance to chemical treatments that occurred, will be a little more measured in what has to be done to counter the threat.

Expect a lot will just give up beekeeping when this little pest takes hold, just like they did when varroa first arrived, be interesting to see how it effects the do nothing beekeepers.

Last edited:
Expect a lot will just give up beekeeping when this little pest takes hold, just like they did when varroa first arrived, be interesting to see how it effects the do nothing beekeepers.

How easy is it to farm Yaks, (Just in case i loose all my hives and need a new hobby)

Do nothing Beeks, well like as it says on my 99 years old grandmothers death certificate it will be "death by Natural causes!

Last edited:
Hopefully the Italians will get it under control and stop the spread. Just like some of the tree deseases I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't arrive with imported plants/soil from an infected country.
S

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

From comments at Gormanstown, I was under the impression that SHB had been reported in Portugal some time ago and that it had gone completely under the beekeeping radar.....

Back