Small Hive Beetle found in Hawaii

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norton

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
The O.I.E. (World Animal Health Organization) has just released an alert notifying the presence of Small Hive Beetles in HAWAII (Panaewa, Island of Hawaii).

This alert has been issued by Dr John Clifford, Deputy Administrator, Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, United States Department of Agriculture.

This probably means no more imports of queens from Hawaii. It will be interesting to see how fast FEFRA reacts to this news.
Best regards
Norton.

Last edited:
Thank you Norton.
Doubt if Fera will react at all,they have SHB in Australia and they allow imports from there.

They have a 100km rule. Australia is a big country and the presence in one part of the country doesn't mean it occurs elsewhere in Australia. Until now Hawaii was the only US state allowed to export to Europe as they had a relatively pest free record. This has now changed and all imports from the state should be suspended. The interesting thing is however that Varroa was found there a couple of years ago and now SHB. Just shows how these pests get around, even to isolated islands. Illegal imports of bees? Who knows.
Best regards
Norton.

Thats my point in a way,if it can get to isolated islands then i'm sure it has no problem expanding within the same country,100 km is not to far is it.

that is the rule - whether we like it or not. I think it is whole lot of risk taking!
Best regards
Norton.

that is the rule - whether we like it or not. I think it is whole lot of risk taking!
Best regards
Norton.

I agree Norton,but i believe that SHB is more likely to arrive in a pot plant or bunch of fruit/veg, than in a cage with a queen bee.

Sorry couldn't resist this one.............
AKA BFH (Beetle from hell)
That's the good news - there are around another 30 species of beetle that attack hives in Africa - God is extremely fond of beetles it seems!
Best regards
Norton.

Nasty video showing them in the larval stage. I hope we dont get it any time soon. Though I liked the new style of SHB traps and bait he used.

I should of sust that lol. Thanks

Latest posts

Back